Zebra finches. Possible to incubate eggs?

Tatuana

Songster
Dec 30, 2018
Utah
I have the world's stupidest male zebra finch. Camelot took a year to figure out how to romance his female. He's got that down. Now he's figured out mating. But not nest building. Or sitting on the egg. Guinevere isn't much better.

Guinevere kept popping out an egg a week so I separated them for now. (They have a big enough cage, and I make sure she's got the vitamins needed for egg laying.)

It got me thinking. Is it possible to incubate a finch egg in a chicken incubator? I wouldn't actually DO it - rescuing a 1 day old field mouse was enough work! - but is it possible?

One can incubate virtually any species of egg. But with altricial species like finches, parrots, robins, etc., it is best to provide a nest and let the parents incubate and feed the babies. They are extremely difficult to hand raise.
Agree with this.
Almost impossible to successfully feed newborn finches.
They aspirate very easily

I have a friend with lots of birds. Currently a couple ducks, a parrotlet, a parrot and LOTS of finches. She has finch cages all over her house. They lay and incubate all the time but she keeps taking eggs away because she doesn't want any more. She has given many away.

I have a friend with lots of birds. Currently a couple ducks, a parrotlet, a parrot and LOTS of finches. She has finch cages all over her house. They lay and incubate all the time but she keeps taking eggs away because she doesn't want any more. She has given many away.
Oh yeah...
They are usually VERY successful in reproducing.
They will take over an entire house if you let them

Oh yes, I don't intend to let them reproduce. I don't trust the male. He killed my other finch in a bloody battle that left blood all over the cage and surrounding area. When I reintroduced him to a female (carefully) it took him a month to stop being terrified of her. He has no interest in nest building, romancing the female, or anything a male does. He would NOT be a good papa.

After rescuing a field mouse and hand feeding it every two hours I'm also not keen on babies. But I'm curious if it can be done. They seem like they would be much trickier than chicken eggs due to the size!

I've never owned finches but learned by proxy from my friend with all the finches. I was surprised to learn how much they fight. She has to keep separating and moving in more cages. She has cages is virtually every room of her 2 story house - with lots of spare cages in the basement.
Virtually all birds incubate at nearly the same temperature which ranges between 98 and 102.
I am amazed that Emperor penguin males incubate on their feet through the winter in the middle of Antarctica. I have to wonder what temperature that is.

People say it is difficult but I have done it from hatching a few times and never lost a baby.

It is more tedious than anything, especially early as it must be done through the night.
What did you use to feed them?
They are just so delicate...
I've heard of using a small paint brush and dipping in the formula.

Back
Top Bottom