Zero Cost Coop

This sort of coop is far better than one of those doll house tiny chicken coops Tractor Supply sells.

+1. In fact, I posted a thread a few months ago about the $800 pre-fab coop kit at our local Fleet store that was complete garbage. Hope nobody bought one of those. A lot better to hear about people using free resources and building something much better.

+1. In fact, I posted a thread a few months ago about the $800 pre-fab coop kit at our local Fleet store that was complete garbage. Hope nobody bought one of those. A lot better to hear about people using free resources and building something much better.
+2. I would never use a pre-fab as a coop but I did find one on sale for $100 so I got it for parts. I used pieces of it inside my coop for my baby brooder room. At least now I can confirm they are not even remotely acceptable for full grown hens, weather or predators. Unless you use them for raising chicks, protected by a real coop they are a total waste of $.

So, when I decided to become a crazy chicken lady, I challenged myself to create a zero cost coop (for chickens I knew would free range all day on two acres) using things I already owned or could get for free. I divided my existing shed down the middle with a tarp. (If I keep adding chickens, I will have to give them the whole shed.) I put three wire baskets I found at the dump (enclosed them with roof shingles and wood) on the shelf in the shed for nesting boxes and added two buckets for additional nesting boxes. For roosting, I got four large tree stumps for free from a friend. (Each one should accommodate at least four chickens comfortably. 5-6 if they want to huddle). The concrete floor is covered with clean pine straw from my property. I am pretty happy with my zero cost coop setup and the chickens seem super comfortable. They return to their budget motel coop every night like clockwork at 8:30 to the minute! I can set my watch by them. Suggestions or criticisms are more than welcome. (Photos Attached)
Nice job! This looks amazing! How long did it take you to build it?

I hope your boards work good as roosting bars for your chickens. I use 2X4s, and it looks like you are using 2X6s. Would be interesting to hear how that works out for you. You just want to make sure that the poo is falling off behind the roosting bar at night and not getting on the boards themselves. If you find the boards are getting soiled, maybe you could rip them down to a 2X4 size. At least I can tell you that my 2X4 boards do not get soiled, but I have never tried 2X6s as roosting bars.

One recommendation, the stump with board in the back of the picture looks like it is very close to the wall. You want enough distance between the roosting bar and the wall or your wall will soon be covered in chicken poo. Keep an eye on that. Looks easy enough to move the stump if needed.

One concern, in your picture, there is a screw sticking up about an inch on the board on the front stump. That could really cut up a chicken, so it needs to be screwed down flush or removed.

:idunno Chickens don't weigh very much, but the way you have the boards attached to the stump appears to resemble a teeter totter. If all your chickens decide to roost on one side of the stump, it might tip everything over to that side. I had 10 chickens, and they would often crowd together on the last 4 feet of their roosting bar despite there being plenty of room on the other side. I don't remember how many chickens you said you have, but I would keep on eye the possibility of tipping the stump over to the heavy side.

But, hey, I love your approach with the Zero Cost Coop. Hope the changes you are making work out. Keep us updated on your results. Always interesting to read what others find works for them.
Thank you so much for your reply.

We are doing a similar thing with our chicken coop. Right now we are doing a renovation on a house and there is a lot of extra wood in the dumpster so we are planning to use that. Of course we are not going find hardware cloth in the dumpster so we can’t only use the stuff from our dumpster but we won’t have to buy a lot of wood which is amazing 😻

Back
Top Bottom