ZERO egg production in a flock of 12 hens

CynthiaDown

In the Brooder
Jul 19, 2020
Is it possible they are eating the eggs? I see zero evidence of that so, if they are, do they eat every scrap? I worry that I had made the mistake a couple of times of throwing cracked eggs in the run (of course they chowed it down) and I created a little cannibalistic (albeit very cute) society of egg eaters.... Yes, they are moulting like crazy and it is November but there have literally been ZERO eggs for over a month now. In the meantime they're basically a bunch of freeloaders... help!!! p.s. I really love this forum. I tried to search but didn't see an already existing thread on this topic, although, I'm sure there are.

Is it possible they are eating the eggs? I see zero evidence of that so, if they are, do they eat every scrap? I worry that I had made the mistake a couple of times of throwing cracked eggs in the run (of course they chowed it down) and I created a little cannibalistic (albeit very cute) society of egg eaters.... Yes, they are moulting like crazy and it is November but there have literally been ZERO eggs for over a month now. In the meantime they're basically a bunch of freeloaders... help!!! p.s. I really love this forum. I tried to search but didn't see an already existing thread on this topic, although, I'm sure there are.

Attachments

• ali.jpg
    ali.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 28
Yes, they are moulting like crazy and it is November
I think that is probably your answer. Their bodies can't make eggs and grow feathers at the same time. Both take a lot of protein; maybe if you up the protein of their feed, some of them may lay....?

I have one pullet that is going through a partial molt at 7.5 months. Her comb and wattles are paler, and she hasn't laid in about three weeks. The other two are laying, at best, every other day, and I put that down to waning hours of daylight.

How old are the hens? Are they molting?
Yes, definitely molting - they are a range from 6 months to 2+ years old. The molting was super intense about a month ago (looked like a massive pillow fight took place in the coop) and it's still happening, but does it make sense that NONE of them are laying? We live in Washington so it's not even all that cold - although it is dark.

I'm in Missouri and I'm getting zero to two eggs a day out of about 20 hens, 10 of them 7 mo. old pullets that had been laying vigorously and the rest yearlings that were also laying generously a month ago. Days are short and the older girls are hard molting. Everybody is on Fall Break, it seems! Patience, my chicken-loving friend! They will get back to the business of laying those delicious cackleberries again! You'll have hen fruit in your basket before you know it!

Back
Top Bottom