1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Zero Grain Meat chickens tractor

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by tokies, Sep 26, 2014.

1. tokies

tokies Chirping 5 Years

Apr 28, 2013
    has anyone ever tried this and is there any design i can make to pull this off

also i know that ducks or turkeys have a better chance of pulling this off. but id like to try it first with meat chickens

(i would like to note i have about a pound of black soldier flies per day, and some duckweed. those are pretty much the only inputs im willing to put in on this experiment.)

im hoping to figure out a breed and possibly a style of land this could be pulled off in. also stocking rates. anyone got any ideas?

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging 8 Years

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    You would need to keep stocking density very low and move tractor daily over quality forage. Typical meatiies like Cornish X are poorly suited for such as not good a converting hard to digest forages. Depending on your stocking density you will find either protein or energy to be limiting. One lb of soldier flies probably would support 2 or three birds. Intake of vegetation can meet much of birds energy needs but chicks / juveniles with high energy demand will have a hard time extracting sufficient energy. Free-range easier when based on a dual purpose breed with good foraging habits but growth rate much slower than typical meaties realize.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: