Zero lumber waste?

jasteiman

Chirping
May 13, 2012
Hello! Is there a chicken coop plan that can be built with very little lumber waste? In other words, very little cutting involved for someone with limited tools and skills. Where I could basically buy the lumber in standard sizes and assemble? I am planning on 10 hens and have a 10 x 20 chain link run with a chain link top on it. Any plans already out there before I try to reinvent the wheel? Thanks in advance!

One way to limit cuts is to go with standard lumber measurements, which are generally 4' and 8' increments. So a 8x8 coop might work for you.

Or consider a hoop coop, especially if you live somewhere with hotter summers, as that uses more metal than wood, so really minimizes cutting. Example: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/permanent-hoop-coop-guide.47818/

Where are you located? Your weather, especially winter weather, could be valuable to know for this question. Your options in a warm winter climate are much different than in a cold winter climate.

You do not need anything fancy or complicated, basically a box with a door, a window, and ventilation. You can add roosts and nests. What kind of box you need depends on your climate.

For 10 chicken I suggest a walk-in coop at ground level. It can have a dirt floor, no need to complicate it with a floor. You can build something from scratch.

Or get a shed kit already cut that you just need to assemble. Adding ventilation will probably be your biggest issue. It will need some kind of foundation too. Building from scratch you'll need to manage a sloped roof.

Another option, hire a handyman to build something for you.

There are lots of plans out there, many are not good designs.
Not many, if any, are going to be 'cut-less'.
Best to learn what makes a good coop before looking at plans.
3 great articles linked in my signature to get you started.
I am not sure what you mean when you say the 3 articles are linked in your signature??
Another option...find someone with a saw who really likes fresh eggs! :D
If only it were that simple...

I am not sure what you mean when you say the 3 articles are linked in your signature??
Maybe you're on a phone and need to turn it to the landscape mode to see signatures?
1603145957358.png

Back
Top Bottom