Zimecterin gold withdrawal period

Chickengirl209

Songster
May 30, 2022
Pennsylvania, USA
Hi all!
I was wondering how long I should wait to continue eating eggs from my flock after I worm them with zimecterin gold. It was widely recommended, so I decided to use it. I am using it for tapeworms. Does anyone know? It is hard to find an answer, because it's not technically supposed to be used in chickens. I read a post and someone suggested to ask @Kiki .

Hi all!
I was wondering how long I should wait to continue eating eggs from my flock after I worm them with zimecterin gold. It was widely recommended, so I decided to use it. I am using it for tapeworms. Does anyone know? It is hard to find an answer, because it's not technically supposed to be used in chickens. I read a post and someone suggested to ask @Kiki .
If I were having to treat my birds for worms I would probably wait a good week before I ate their eggs again.
There are some people that don't wait any days and there are some people that will never eat the eggs again.

Hi all!
I am considering using ZG. How did you get them to take it? Did you do 1 or 2 treatments? My fecal only showed eggs, not adult tapes. My girls also have moderate roundworm eggs. Does ZG work for roundworms too?

I am considering using ZG. How did you get them to take it? Did you do 1 or 2 treatments? My fecal only showed eggs, not adult tapes. My girls also have moderate roundworm eggs. Does ZG work for roundworms too?
For Roundworms you can use Safeguard or Valbazen.

To treat roundworms only, Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight, given orally once, then repeat in 10 days.

Valbazen dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

Zermectrin Gold dosing (give once, repeat in 10-14 days)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/treating-tapeworms-under-construction.1220309/
How to give medication orally
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

I'm sorry I'm replying to this late! I don't go on here very often.

I used two treatments, because I had read that if you don't get them all out with one blow then they can become immune to the medicine.

I tried a couple different ways - Some were will in to take it, and took it easily. That was only about 7/19 though. We made a small hollow in a blueberry, picked up a pea-sized amount of the cream/medicine with a toothpick, smeared it on the blueberry and gave it to them. After we saw most weren't taking it, we started having one person hold the chicken, the other hold it's mouth open, and another person shove the blueberry down. You have to hold their mouth shut though for as long as it takes them to swallow it or they spit it out all over you. With that method we were able to do it.

Also - I know this is going to be sort of disgusting, but we also found this out. Our chickens do this thing where they do an extra large poop when they get outside first thing in the morning. (Maybe yours do this too?) We found that they wouldn't take it willingly unless they got that out first.

Back
Top Bottom