Zorro the cat...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by MomKat, Jul 25, 2011.

1. MomKat

MomKat Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    Mobile, AL
    My big black tomcat (neutered, 7 years old), Zorro, has apparently been trying to get my hens (RIR, 20 weeks). He has been showing up with peck marks and gouges out of his fur. The girls are fine, but he is not! They are really beating him up! Most of what I've been reading on these boards say that cats for the most part leave grown hens alone. How do I get him to understand this? [​IMG]

Thanks!

Kat

2. GA_in_GA

GA_in_GA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Southwest Georgia
    Sounds like your hens have the issue handled! [​IMG]

3. txreddirtgirl

txreddirtgirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    Decatur, Tx
    Every time my Tom goes near my hens I spray water on him. He's come to associate then hen house/run with being sprayed with water so he usually keeps his distance now...

4. MomKat

MomKat Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    Mobile, AL
    Water is a good idea! I'll have to try it. And yes, the girls do seem to have it handled but he doesn't realize it yet, and I'm getting tired of patching him up! [​IMG]

5. SaraFL

SaraFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    I'm so glad I haven't had that problem (yet?). My cats leave the birds alone as of right now.

6. ailurophile23

ailurophile23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    VA
    Some cats are just gluttons for punishment - and patching them up does get old - especially if the pecking causes abscesses. Icky!! [​IMG] Try the spray bottle with water or even with vinegar (harmless but cats hate the smell). Or use the garden hose to spray him. Good luck.

7. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

are you sure its the hens that are doing it? Have you seen him out after them and them beating them up? Even being neutered he'll fight other toms to protect whats his - mine do.

If it is the hens, leave him be - they'll get it through his head. You got a broody hen? - if so let her have at him one good time, he'd get the message then - lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by