2015 HALLOWEEN Hatch-a-Long, Join us IF YOU DARE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. I've been reading all over BYC trying to find more info on gape worms. I saw where you can use a q-tip to see if that's truly the issue. I have a hen gaping like crazy and she's not looking great. Has anyone dealt with this before and if so, what do I use and what is the dosage? Never heard of these things before..........I did start them on Rooster Booster the other day for a Fall clean out after seeing some suspected droppings........

A friend of mine suggested me to use fendbendazole when i thought my birds had gape. Are you sure they may have gapeworm? Ive heard its rare

I thought it was simply due to our rain and them eating works like crazy last week....she's gaping but while ago I heard her sneeze....outside of an egg bounded once I've never had a sick hen. Thought I would try to gently swab her throat with a qtip.....with the sneeze on top of it not quite sure what to do at this point....\they were all dumb enough to go out in the rain so maybe its viral...trying not to worry...\

I mean the weird one :) Don't give up yet on the weird one
smile.png
I'm not giving up on the weird one! It's my last egg standing!

I thought it was simply due to our rain and them eating works like crazy last week....she's gaping but while ago I heard her sneeze....outside of an egg bounded once I've never had a sick hen. Thought I would try to gently swab her throat with a qtip.....with the sneeze on top of it not quite sure what to do at this point....\they were all dumb enough to go out in the rain so maybe its viral...trying not to worry...\
gape worm is from eating infected earth worms. It is actually rare for chickens to have gape worm. A more likely cause, given all of the rain, is fungal. Being in the rain will not make them sick and chickens do not catch colds so the other thing she could have would be one of the MG type of illnesses.

Do not treat for gape worms unless you know she has them.

I wouldn't without proof...we are very sandy and their coops are clean....should I just watch her and make sure no others start this too? Going to keep the Apple cv in the water but I stopped using DE after some other warnings about respiratory etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom