5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

With a little help from my wife, the first zipper is out and doing great with the other two. We also have 6 that have pipped, and will hopefully be out soon.

Nothing happening still....looks like I will be in the running for worst hatch. I set 11. Put 3 in lockdown. Still no pips on those 3..... UGH
sad.png

fl.gif
There is hope! It is day 21 still.
We have a LA out, and 5 others that have pipped, but the first to pip and 3/4 zip is still in the shell. It is breathing, but it appears that the membrane is still attached. It has been close to 24 hours, but I am really trying not to help, and my daughter is making it very difficult.

smilies-3434.png

A second one has pipped.
big_smile.png

First one has gotten quiet, no changes.
OMG! They are so frustrating when they do that!

Mine waited until 5 of them had pips and then started hatching!

I so so want to win something in this contest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Best Hatch Rate...
Not going to be this one...
I set 18 eggs and only 15 made it to the hatcher, all but 1 have hatched or pip'ed. But i'm not giving up on that last one until I have too.

2. Best Hatch a Long Participant
Not even a chance in **** for me on this one.
Many more of you are way better participants than me.
Prize: BYC Calendar

4. Random Post Contest Closed
Lost this one also.
Winner announced for post 2314 @tadpole98

5. Number of egg set for Hatch a Long Closed
I guessed 951, missed it by a hair...A very big hair. Dang lost this one too.
Winner: Chickenboy190 with a guess of 1594

6. Random Post contest II
Not really a chance here either, I don't post enough. Odds are not in my favor.

7. Worst Hatch Rate
I wish everybody would have had success... My sympathy to those of you it did not work out so well for.
If you need a few chicks to be with a loner chick, Send me a PM and I will give you some chicks for the cost of shipping.

So the only thing left is... 3. Cutest Chick Hatched
And I want your vote.. Please Please vote for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blow on my belly...I mean vote for me. The little chick said.

I AM SOOOOO DARN HAPPY TO HEAR ABOUT EVERYONES LUCK WITH HATCHING THEIR CHICKS SO FAR!
(its ok for you all that haven't had anything hatch yet.......I still have one rocking egg left, with NO pip)

I was hoping to get a little showgirl out of these batches, but I did not......that's OK.

From my breeder I ordered silkie eggs......3 of the 7 silkie eggs are actually japs....oh well! LOL

here is what have hatched:
1 white silkie
2 buff silks (one is crossed beak)
1 black silkie Japanese bantam mix
3 Japanese bantams
4 OE cross crosses (I know its a mouthful.....my hen was a cross of who knows what, and ended up as an OE....then she crosses with my back silkie AND Japanese bantam.....so some babies have bantam legs and splotches of black skin.....LOL)

ONE MORE OE CROSS CROSS EGG LEFT!

GOOD LUCK to everyone who has NOT gotten pips zips and chickies! I"m with you guys in this one!

X2!
We have a LA out, and 5 others that have pipped, but the first to pip and 3/4 zip is still in the shell. It is breathing, but it appears that the membrane is still attached. It has been close to 24 hours, but I am really trying not to help, and my daughter is making it very difficult.

smilies-3434.png

LA? I forgot what you said that is?
one thing i learned from this hatch is to set at a time when they wont all hatch in the middle of the night!!! Im so tired from staying up till almost 4 am lol
My last one to hatch brought a little blood out with it, its not bleeding but the stuff left in the egg looks bloodier than what the other chicks left behind, is that normal?
I cant wait to get a picture of all these chicks fluffed up! they have some beautiful coloring already.
I hope that everyone who has chicks left gets chickies and they are mostly hens!! Good luck everyone :D
fl.gif
jumpy.gif
lau.gif
That never seems to work...

Quick question...

When they begin to zip, do they start from the pip and work their way around? Or do they just pip randomly somewhere else and then zip???

Some pip and then smash our of the shell. Some pip and then wait a long time. Zipping can start at another place, like the back of the egg. Sneaky sometimes!

First one out! I think this is one is Black Australorp x RIR, mostly dark with yellow on it's belly & bottom and tip of wings. 5 more pips and 19 still just looking eggy!
smilies-3434.png

Nice looking chick!

Mine have usually started from the pip - a few have started the zip from half an inch a way, but it still cracked over to the pip spot.
X2!

Who is pipping/hatching today?

Tracking:

Chickin Pickin
MontanaDolphin
Insanity
Jlynnet
Msjp
Jdchicks
Pozees
Ronott1
Scotter
Nicky-the-witch
Draye
All Henned Up
Michaelf
GerbilsOnToast
Kiniska
Gage
Abmaddox1981
Coopsbyty
RonnieWayne
Chase Family
LogCabinFarm
Marmca
JLaw
ChickenCame1st
Mstricer
AK FLOCK SWAP

Tracking:

Chickin Pickin
MontanaDolphin
Insanity
Jlynnet
Msjp
Jdchicks
Pozees
Ronott1
Scotter
Nicky-the-witch
Draye
All Henned Up
Michaelf
GerbilsOnToast
Kiniska
Gage
Abmaddox1981
Coopsbyty
RonnieWayne
Chase Family
LogCabinFarm
Marmca
JLaw
ChickenCame1st
Mstricer
AK FLOCK SWAP
I am chirping from unpipped eggs so gotta be soooooon! Yeah! Happy New Year.

Tracking:

Chickin Pickin
MontanaDolphin
Insanity
Jlynnet
Msjp
Jdchicks
Pozees
Ronott1
Scotter
Nicky-the-witch
Draye
All Henned Up
Michaelf
GerbilsOnToast
Kiniska
Gage
Abmaddox1981
Coopsbyty

& FeyRaine, at least I hope, as Ron says it IS only DAY 21
My 2 piped just after midnight & 1 is zipped the other no action , 11 additional eggs ZERO action, not soo sure about things...

Standing here filling the coffee pot #3 pipped before my eyes.

I want to say a huge thank you to everyone here, it's good to know I am not the only guy in the world who gets a little crazy on hatch days. It does not matter if this if your first hatch, or if you have been doing it for years, as I have, the miracle of birth is always special, exciting, and completely nerve frazzling.

So, thank you all again, I hope each and everyone of you has an amazing year, with much love, luck, and fuzzy chicks.

P.s. I will post pics as soon as I have something cute
big_smile.png

d_canon.gif

It is nice to share the hatch fever!
Another baby this morning. And 3 more popping. This is so exciting. Today is my husband birthday, and these baby chicks are an awesome birthday present for him.
smiley-says-happy-birthday.gif

Back
Top Bottom