~ 5th Annual Cinco de Mayo Hatchathon! ~

Thanks, and my condolences on yours
hugs.gif
. I'm happy that I have already hatched a small batch of turkeys, and I have 97 more in the 'build' incubator. (2 different sets) Hens are just thinking about going broody, so there will still be plenty of turkeys.

The Dorkings are shipped eggs - and very hard to find. Last year I got 2 healthy hens from 48 eggs (post office was in FINE form last year!) This years' box went UPS - and came in looking worse than either of last years, but the eggs looked good. So far, two have hatched. The first hatched cleanly - but took about 20 hours from internal pip. The second had a small bit of goo but not bad. The others, if they hatch, I expect to be quite sticky. Now that the temp is fully adjusted on the build, I think it's taken care of / won't happen next time.

I have two turkey eggs and twelve more Dorkings in the 'wait and see' basket of the build, and the rest in the LG have shown nothing (as expected)
BUT!!! I have TWO Dorkings that I didn't have before, and I know my incubator build works! I've also figured out a few 'add-ons' that I'd like to do (besides auto-turning) to make it easier to use. All in all - it's been a good use of the month.
thumbsup.gif

***edit to add - and a third baby calf this evening = 19 done!

Woot! Congrats on the success with the Dorkings that did hatch and the new calf and the incubator!!

Woot! Congrats on the success with the Dorkings that did hatch and the new calf and the incubator!!

Thanks!
There are two more (external) pips in Dorking eggs late this morning, so I'm thinking there *might* still be more. No time to sit and stare at them now - one of the cows had twins this morning, so now I've got a bottle baby on my hands. Coincidentally, year-before-last's bottle baby also had her first calf this morning - I'm a grandma! She was a twin, but not the mother of this morning's set.

I think my hatch is done. 12 Speckled Sussex in the brooder. SS and BR poults with the turkey hens. Not sure how many. They are in a pen, but the grass is high and I can't get an accurate count. At least 17. There's still one SS egg in the hatcher, but I think it's done. I just put 12 BR eggs in. Unfortunately, I neglected to write down when they went into the incubator, so ...

I lost count of how many hatched! By calculating back from the losses or quitters: I believe I had 28 chicks hatch and survive. One was glued into it's shell and I assisted 2 days after the hatch date, I think the timing of assistance was right but it still didn't make it, I just couldn't watch it die in the shell glued to the edges and unable to move. Losing 1 chick out of 29 is better than I could have expected though! All the other 28 chicks that pipped hatched out without any assistance and are thriving right now!

I placed 10 with a broody hen and will keep them until I can determine gender.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom