~ 5th Annual Cinco de Mayo Hatchathon! ~

Calling my hatch a close - I have **SEVEN** bouncy baby Dorkings! Pics this evening.

Congrads
thumbsup.gif

I think my hatch is done. 12 Speckled Sussex in the brooder. SS and BR poults with the turkey hens. Not sure how many. They are in a pen, but the grass is high and I can't get an accurate count. At least 17. There's still one SS egg in the hatcher, but I think it's done. I just put 12 BR eggs in. Unfortunately, I neglected to write down when they went into the incubator, so ...

Great job
yesss.gif

I gave the chicks I plan to keep to one of my broody hens, she is doing a great job!

And my dog is not amused by my attempts at making her play horsy:

Love the colors of your chicks!! Glad to hear your broody is doing great!

I was a bit apprehensive with mine, being their first time.

Wow, your dog is pretty good! That's awesome!

Last edited:
Love the colors of your chicks!! Glad to hear your broody is doing great!

I was a bit apprehensive with mine, being their first time.

Wow, your dog is pretty good! That's awesome!
She is 10x better around chickens and baby chicks as she is around children. She goes nuts around kids and barks at them and attempts to herd them. I need to socialize her to kids more. I trust her completely around little chicks and chickens though which is really nice.

Here is my final
32 eggs set in incubator
13 hatched
1 died after hatch
3 never pipped
16 not fertile

Broody
6 eggs
2 hatched
1 hatched and died
1 never pipped
2 not fertile

Finally got a pretty good head count of the broody babies. 9 chicks and 10 poults. They don't care which of the three hens they run to, just whoever is closest.

Finally got a pretty good head count of the broody babies. 9 chicks and 10 poults. They don't care which of the three hens they run to, just whoever is closest.
Nice!

I have 2 hens raising my incubator chicks right now. Interestingly enough, I gave one hen a single chick and later tried to give her a second chick a different color. She started attacking the little black chick and wouldn't take care of it! I then tried giving her another yellow chick similar to her first and she took it right in and is looking after it just as well as her first one.

The girls from my hatch are now about 4 months old and completely integrated into the flock. All the blue ones are from the hatchathon. Looking forward to their first little blue eggs that should be coming soon!

Back
Top Bottom