8th-annual-byc-new-years-day-2017-hatch-a-long

What do you do if you have an egg due in a few days but the top of the egg broke? And has a pretty big hole in it? I wrapped it in **** tissue but not sure if i need to do something else

What do you do if you have an egg due in a few days but the top of the egg broke? And has a pretty big hole in it? I wrapped it in **** tissue but not sure if i need to do something else
do you have any vet wrap ? it is not immediate death to them okay did you know if it broke the mebrane?
inside the egg

I had an egg get crushed under a hen once 3 days before hatching. Chunks of the shell were missing but the membranes were intact. I brought it inside for the last few days. It survived but I did have to assist at hatch.

Humidity had to be kept up to keep the membrane moist

Last edited:
Now I have an an EXTERNAL pip!
big_smile.png
so exciting for all of us

I use liquid skin bandage. It works great. I had failures with beeswax and fingernail polish but 100% so far with the liquid skin.

sorry I haven't posted on here in a WHILE. I am absolutely overrun with birds! I have *three* brooders set up now!
gig.gif
ep.gif
Feels like all I do is clean up poop!

Incubator on lockdown again, heeeeeeeeee I'm so excited. :D How have you guys been?

@Chicken5555
Wow!! Those pics, in succession, are exactly what I was needing to see
1f389.png
1f60d.png
1f631.png
do they zip right around where the air line is usually? It's so cool & amazing
1f601.png

When I candle for the last time right before lockdown I draw the line where the air cell is and mark an 'x' at the lowest part of the circle. The 'x' is an estimation of where about they will pip. I set my eggs 'x' side up. The chicks typically zip right along the line because that's where the edge of the air cell is.

Back
Top Bottom