8th-annual-byc-new-years-day-2017-hatch-a-long

Congratulations!!!  

I have silkies that hatched 11/29 and I would LOVE to move them outside, but they don't have nearly as many feathers as yours appear to have!
I was afraid they would be in all winter but they have really feathered out nicely! Maybe i have the light too close lol idk, but weve had a really mild winter so far only 2 days in the teens and with our temps going into the 60s this week, its finally time to get these babies out and air out the house!!!

I was afraid they would be in all winter but they have really feathered out nicely! Maybe i have the light too close lol idk, but weve had a really mild winter so far only 2 days in the teens and with our temps going into the 60s this week, its finally time to get these babies out and air out the house!!!
I'm in Southern CA, our temps shouldn't be this low. My high the next few days is 54, low is 40. It's been oozing, not raining, just oozing enough to make the coops disgustingly soggy. I have a separate little movable coop that I'll move up against the house - try to cut down on wind, and maybe I can move them tomorrow.

I have a heat plate on them now - which I'll give them a bigger heat plate when they go outside, but I'd hate to lose these babies - they are SO CUTE!!!!

I wish you the best with your move!! I'm sure it will be nice to get rid of the stink of the babies. I get sad when they move outside, because I don't spend anywhere near as much time with them after.

Good luck!!

EE

Flowers

I'm in Southern CA, our temps shouldn't be this low.  My high the next few days is 54, low is 40.  It's been oozing, not raining, just oozing enough to make the coops disgustingly soggy.  I have a separate little movable coop that I'll move up against the house - try to cut down on wind, and maybe I can move them tomorrow.

I have a heat plate on them now - which I'll give them a bigger heat plate when they go outside, but I'd hate to lose these babies - they are SO CUTE!!!!

I wish you the best with your move!!  I'm sure it will be nice to get rid of the stink of the babies.  I get sad when they move outside, because I don't spend anywhere near as much time with them after.

Good luck!!
Yuck! Its been a wet mess here as well, Ive went through more straw this year because of the rain than I usually do because of the cold lol

Yes I will miss the little buggars but they are getting so big I know they hate being in that box! Im excited to see how they react to being "set free"

I plan on participating in the Valentines HAL and hatching some more babies!
1f606.png

Last edited:
No progress on the one pip....

fl.gif
I hope to read a good update soon!
My first baby from yesterday is doing great!

The one that actually pipped first is still in there and has not progressed much past a small hole. It pipped a little low and I think it's malpositioned.
sad.png
I'm praying it makes it!!! It's been almost 36 hrs since it pipped. I do see it moving and see a beak and hear an occasional chirp though!
How cute!

sometimes they pip and then die. 36 hours is qute a bit of time. Can you still hear cheeping?

I have THIRTY THREE CHICKS now!!! :lol:
12 from my White leghorn rooster, Captain Jack.
20 from Garfunkel, my True Ameraucana, wheaten variety
and one from my sneaky buff laced Polish, Ringo

one more pip and two eggs that have done NOTHING.
Day 22 started at 9pm last night so I'll give those two some extra time.

Congrats on so many babies!!! :)

Hey What a Coincidence! Whens your birthday? Mines the 2nd

The 21st ;)

So excited for you guys! Still nothing on my end
sad.png
not even an internal pip. They are about 19 and 1/2 days old so we'll see if tonight I have a pip or not! If not then I will candle and see what's going on. Last time I checked they still had a lot of blood vessels more than usual so I am gonna give them about a week longer and if nothing then I was unlucky!

fl.gif

It gets hard to be patient when you see others hatching chicks!

Not sure how others might feel about this, but I candle if I suspect something might be wrong - just a very quick check for life, especially if others have hatched already. It's probably frowned upon but I have had shipped eggs quit during lockdown and I've sat and watched long after all the other eggs hatched, and I finally starting checking. If there are no pips anywhere else, and you can get the humidity regulated quickly, there's not much risk to the embryos.
It depends on the egg that I am hatching. If they are expensive shipped eggs I will work harder with them. Sometimes they make it and sometimes they do not. Shipping can cause all kinds of problems so it is hard to figure out what is genetic from what is caused by shipping.

Woke up this morning to chicks that are fluffing out much better and THREE new babies. And to top it off, TWO are naked necks! I'm so excited about that! The third is a cute little Ameraucana :) It does look like the wrong end pip egg gave a valiant attempt but just couldn't correct. I can't even use the tube to flip it over because its attempts basically made that side of the egg flat. I have one chick that might have gotten shrink wrapped in my attempts to get the humidity down. The other chicks pushed it near the vent hole so I put a bit of water on the membrane and found the chick still alive. I don't know if I should try to put a bit more on it or just let it be. I have another Am egg that I thought was shrink wrapped as well and it's in a corner of the bator I can't get the tubing to, but it looks like it has broken through the membrane, so maybe I'm okay with that one? Time will tell I guess. I have one other Am egg that has a small pip, but there are still like three others that I haven't seen anything yet. I'm gonna try to sit on my hands and hope the rest didn't suffer from my humidity drama :/

Anyway. Here's a few photos of the noobies.

As each chick hatches it gives off moisture that then raises humidity. Since this happened this time, next time lower the temperature a degree at hatch. The lower temperature will help keep the oxygen level up as the moisture goes up.

Last edited:
My malpositioned is out!!! I did a little "zipping" help and it was finally able to kick and open up and hatched right out!! It is chirping and trying to stand up! Has a little membrane stuck to it's head I think...

Nice job!

Watch that one closely for pasty butt and make sure the legs are not splayed. When they hatch hard like that both things can happen.

wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom