8th-annual-byc-new-years-day-2017-hatch-a-long

Hmm, had to look up the r-com incubator...looks like a nice bator. Pipping happening on the down side..wonder why.
I think it's a great incubator. Very steady and easy with holding temp and humidity. Must be something about the way it rolls the eggs on their sides because if I set them upright leaning on each other between the rails and hand turn them, they don't get malpositioned....

love.gif

I so adore that chick!!!!!!
Just hatched another one that looks the same :) I like them too. I might have to hatch a couple that I can keep.

It's funny, my last 3 hatches I haven't marked a single egg. Other than marking the different breeds. I only candled once each hatch. I found that the less I handle the shipped eggs, the better they do.
The more I worry about an expensive, special, screwed up shipped egg, the more I dork with it. And of course those are the only ones I tend to drop. They really are happier when left alone. I try to mostly just candle without touching the eggs.

Very frustrated. The family who got seven of our pre-NYD chicks to start their own flock were sold a blended shavings bag by their local feed store (who knew it was specifically for brooding chicks) and 4 of their seven died from respiratory distress right after they were transitioned from paper towels to shavings.

@orrpeople I am so sorry sometimes we shake our head
smack.gif
what are
they thinking ? although I do start them out the bator on shavings... I do not do the paper towels
as it grosses me out... I am so sorry for them

Very frustrated. The family who got seven of our pre-NYD chicks to start their own flock were sold a blended shavings bag by their local feed store (who knew it was specifically for brooding chicks) and 4 of their seven died from respiratory distress right after they were transitioned from paper towels to shavings.
Did the shavings have cedar in it?

I am thinking that the shavings did not kill them but it was likely too hot in the brooder. They pant when that happens which could be mistaken for breathing issues.

It's funny, my last 3 hatches I haven't marked a single egg. Other than marking the different breeds. I only candled once each hatch. I found that the less I handle the shipped eggs, the better they do.

X2

Excessive handling is a major cause of failures.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Anyone else setting today or tomorrow for the Zodiac HAL?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1146509/2017-zodiac-hatch-a-long

Did the shavings have cedar in it?

I am thinking that the shavings did not kill them but it was likely too hot in the brooder. They pant when that happens which could be mistaken for breathing issues.

X2
Even if the shavings were a mix of cedar and pine or just hardwood and developed fungus, it wouldn't happen that fast.

I lost one of my NN chicks today :( The other one doesn't seem to be doing so well either. They've both been less active and more resigned to stay under the heat plate, coming out to eat and drink. I raised the brooder plate last night since it seemed that the chicks needed some more space and I figured body heat would help the NNs adjust. Guess I was wrong. It's frustrating.

I lost one of my NN chicks today :( The other one doesn't seem to be doing so well either. They've both been less active and more resigned to stay under the heat plate, coming out to eat and drink. I raised the brooder plate last night since it seemed that the chicks needed some more space and I figured body heat would help the NNs adjust. Guess I was wrong. It's frustrating.

Noooo!
sad.png

Power came back on ar 3am, 7 hrs without power. Checked my chicks this morning in the coop and this little fellas are survivors all of them made it thru the night without heat lamp at 40 degrees temp, only 4 1wk old chicks died. Checked my sportsman with 40 eggs that were due on the 8th and several were zipped and could faintly hear peeping, going to give it another day to see if there's any delay due to the cold front bringing the bator temp to 89 two nights in a row plus the power outage.
Thank you for the update. I'm hoping all is ok with your eggs.
fl.gif

I'm sorry to hear about the 4 young chicks.
hugs.gif
I was hoping that your older chicks would be ok.
I made a HUGE oops during the Halloween HAL.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...sts-mike-sally-bantychooks/1920#post_17624683

Unfortunately the chick's turned out to be a cockerel...but he's one of the biggest cockerels of the bunch now. So, going by my mistakes, I thought you had a decent chance with your older chicks.
thumbsup.gif

(And yes, I'm keeping him for breeding...in case anyone's curious.
wink.png
) Just what I need...another rooster.
th.gif

X2

Excessive handling is a major cause of failures.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Anyone else setting today or tomorrow for the Zodiac HAL?

[COLOR=0066CC]https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1146509/2017-zodiac-hatch-a-long[/COLOR]

X2
Even if the shavings were a mix of cedar and pine or just hardwood and developed fungus, it wouldn't happen that fast.
from what I gather, the shavings were the only variable. The first one died soon after the change in litter, the next 3 took a few days. Edit: But, I can only go by what they are telling me. I have not seen the brooder set up personally.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom