a Turken that lays a green or blue egg?

Quote:
First of all I call this being a butt "well, im sorry but in my book, it don't have feathers on it's neck. it's a naked neck. if you had read other posts you would have seen that we have already come to this conclusion." personaly I dont care what you call your birds I just don't think it is a good idea to call them naked necks if they lay blue/green eggs because you will get newbies confused.

"if a naked neck is a dual purpose breed then what is a turken?" To answer your question they are the same breed. The right name is naked neck. You thought they were deffernt breeds and a newbi could get just as confuesed and think that naked necks lay green eggs.
Hunter S.

Hi Hunter! Thanks for trying to clarify, but I don't think anyone in this thread was confused.
To get the Naked Neck birds I have now, I've outcrossed to Silkie, Frizzled Cochin, Ameraucana, Jersey Giant, and recently Rock.
They are far and away from ASOP Naked Necks, but every variation has a 'standard' here that I am looking toward.
i usually take great pains to explain exactly what the cross is so no one is confused.
smile.png

Lisa

well... I'm still confused.
hu.gif

What is the proper terminology for a mix breed chicken that has the bare neck gene?
I know in silkies they are called showgirls, and that it is a made up name. but what about those creative cochin crosses? What about an acutal N/N crossed on a marans? It would stil lay a brown egg, just maybe darker brown. What colors are APA naked necks recognized in?

My flock is all different breeds of chickens. At this point I am not intending on selling or breeding "pure bred" chickens, and I try to state exactly what it is I have. On that note, I have 4 dogs and 2 are pure bred, the other 2 are mutts. I love all 4 dogs just the same, and don't think any less of my 2 mutts.

I can understand clarifying exactly what it is you are selling, especially to newbies, but some of us like seeing what we can breed out of our little flocks. I think as long as we're (and I mean everyone that's raising/selling barnyard mixes) responsible about it and not stating "I am selling pure bred NN/Turkens/whatever" then we should still do what we're doing. Out in nature, I don't think different breed animals are saying, "Wait, I can't mate with you, you're not ___". And I do completely understand working towards the standard, I am just not doing that at this point.

Anyway, I still love and continue to subscribe to this thread! I do have my Turken Cross eggs in lockdown right now. I heard some peeping this morning but I don't think it was from either of the green eggs I have in there.

My egg sales are picking up right now, and there has been a lot of interest in colored eggs. Too bad I only have one green egg layer right now!

Hunter,

Define pure. How do you tell if this or that naked necked bird is Naked Neck or not?

As far as I know, "Turken" was never an official name. Was it? Only have seen either "Naked Neck" or "Transylvanian Naked Neck" as recognized breed names. Just curious why do you insist turken is another name for the same breed(and then pretty much say it's never to be used since 'naked neck' is the only right name)? If it was never an official name..... then what is wrong with calling the "not pures" as Turken.. ala EE? It seems that would make for a decent distinction between the "pures" and the "not pures". So far, you are pretty much just telling us not to use any names.

Apparently, there IS a breed of turkens that lays green/blue eggs. This quote is from the BYC web site about Turkens:

"There is also a breed with naked necks in Australia locally known as "Turkens". Those birds have pea combs and lay blue or green eggs."

The ones that originate from Transylvania or Hungary lay the brown eggs.

Hope this clears some things up. I'm just starting to learn about these odd chickens, myself, since I found a breeder near me who just hatched some "mixed" turkens.

I know they are not different breeds but since someone said not to call my mixes turkens i thought naked necks were ok. so then you said no.. so i was just asking a question and i was being a smart *butt* and saying "in my book" i did NOT mean anything harmful or degrading. I am not a newbie. i have been on here(and the old site) for a lot longer than what i have been posting. I have looked into what birds i want and i have changed my midn over the years and have come to the conclusion that just one breen isn't for me LOL. so i meant no harm but was put off by being called a butt.

i think if a newbie has questions or anything i am sure they can and will ask questions.

Last night I had a Naked Neck/Turken hatch out of a green egg:

26636_100_3517.jpg

26636_100_3519.jpg

This little chick is the only one that's hatched out of an EE egg so far. Momma hen is a EE/BO mix.

Back
Top Bottom