A **WARNING** ABOUT BLUE-KOTE!

I didn't read all of this but I would have told people I robbed a bank and it's the blue dye pack. LOL
lau.gif

Hahaha! I'm sorry to laugh, but just know you're not alone. I don't have any pics to share (thank goodness!), but I'll share a story with you. I think it happened 2 years ago, or so(I've made a huge effort to forget the whole ordeal). I had a couple of roos who were really unkind to each other. To keep things simple, all of their picking and sparring left them with more then a few bald, red patches. The hens noticed them and started picking. I grabbed the blue kote, went to the coop and caught one roo and applied it. Caught the second, applied it again. Just as I was finishing up, the first turd ran over and started fighting and blue kote went EVERYWHERE! And I mean everywhere. From head to toe I was covered in blue cote. And of course I was wearing a tank top and shorts, so I got freckled everywhere (and on top of ny natural freckles to boot. I'm a red head, I have no shortage of freckles). To make matters worse, I was really sweaty from chasing those roos around to apply the dredded substance, so I ended up with quite a bit of streaking as well :/ fortunately it will go away, in the mean time be prepared to receive lots of smiles. Especially when you head to the co-op where they can put 2 and 2 together and figure out what you've done :p

Okay, I still consider myself very new to this site. So when I read **Warning** about a product I just had to see what the warning was for.

Very cute pic, love it... Made me laugh.
lau.gif
That's pretty good... making people laugh 3 years after the incident occurred.
Thank you for sharing.

Okay, I still consider myself very new to this site. So when I read **Warning** about a product I just had to see what the warning was for.

Very cute pic, love it... Made me laugh.
lau.gif
That's pretty good... making people laugh 3 years after the incident occurred.
Thank you for sharing.
Oh we have been laughing at her for years now for that one. Every now and then someone brings the photo back and we all get to laugh again!

howfunkyisurchicken, did my chicken come to your house or is your's at mine? lol

Hahaha! I'm sorry to laugh, but just know you're not alone. I don't have any pics to share (thank goodness!), but I'll share a story with you. I think it happened 2 years ago, or so(I've made a huge effort to forget the whole ordeal). I had a couple of roos who were really unkind to each other. To keep things simple, all of their picking and sparring left them with more then a few bald, red patches. The hens noticed them and started picking. I grabbed the blue kote, went to the coop and caught one roo and applied it. Caught the second, applied it again. Just as I was finishing up, the first turd ran over and started fighting and blue kote went EVERYWHERE! And I mean everywhere. From head to toe I was covered in blue cote. And of course I was wearing a tank top and shorts, so I got freckled everywhere (and on top of ny natural freckles to boot. I'm a red head, I have no shortage of freckles). To make matters worse, I was really sweaty from chasing those roos around to apply the dredded substance, so I ended up with quite a bit of streaking as well
hmm.png
fortunately it will go away, in the mean time be prepared to receive lots of smiles. Especially when you head to the co-op where they can put 2 and 2 together and figure out what you've done
tongue.png

This is an old thread - but the threat of BlueKote staining still exists. Wish I would have found this thread BEFORE I used the blasted stuff. I tried to BlueKote my White Leghorn's back because the rooster has done a number on her and she has a few cuts. So I carefully caught her and before could say "oh" the stuff was all over the place. All over her, me and the coop run & wall. Thankfully most of it is gone from my fingers now - but some remains on my left pointer finger (ignore the missing nail - I have soft nails and it ripped off because of all the washing).
barnie.gif

So definitely be careful using this stuff - it's terribly messy and I couldn't get it to go away quickly with Rubbing Alcohol or repeated scrubbings. It's taken a few days to get to this level of blue and I suppose I'll have a purple chicken for quite awhile.

You will have a purple chicken until the next time it molts. Even then if the molt isn't very severe your chicken may still have purple feathers for another year or more. I did find that the darker colored chickens are easier to ignore.

I also found that bleach works on leather sofas. I learned the hard way that even though it seems dry on the dog..... it's not. The big white dog licked and chewed it all off over the course of several days. Each time he did so it was semi wet again.

What a great thread!

Things I have learned about blue kote: a) spray a hen's butt and get purple striped eggs
b) spray a rooster's butt and get purple rings around the hens' tails
c) Always set the freshly sprayed chicken butt down facing away from you, the chicken will shake like a wet dog.

Back
Top Bottom