acv with "mother"

I add braggs to the distiller stuff and leave it for a week or so. I feed it to chicks from the very start. I used plain water in the brooder to see if I could tell a difference and they all got sticky butt. Reintroduced ACV and problem was almost immediately resolved.

I did the same thing. 1 gallon of Heinz apple cider vinegar is like a buck and change. Braggs is like 1pt. is 3-4 dollars from a local grocery store. Take some Braggs and add it to the Heinz. Leave the Heinz bottle open and cover with a coffee filter. I let is sit in the closet for a couple of weeks and BLAMO! I gallon of Mothered ACV. Birds love it and I soon will be mixing it with stuff to see how it works on me. I need to get some Yogurt too. Me and the birds could benefit from it.!!!!

Ok..I tried adding the Braggs ACV to a frozen thing of apple juice on week 3... this is what I have...bubbles in the "MOTHER" layer on top, and brown junk in it that's floating to the bottom....is this right? I also noticed some fruit flies around it and was wondering if maybe they laid eggs in it or something? ?? Gross, but what do I do? Can I still use it or is it destroyed?

Last edited:
I would skim that junk off the top. and be sure to use a coffee filter ontop of the container to keep pests out of there. The stuff on the bottom is the good stuff. Be sure to keep some of that batch to start other batches.

I would skim that junk off the top. and be sure to use a coffee filter ontop of the container to keep pests out of there. The stuff on the bottom is the good stuff. Be sure to keep some of that batch to start other batches.
So the brown stuff is the good stuff and the thick white stuff is the bad?

Thank you so much for your help! Ironically enough I've been stalking your posts as I love your chicken keeping style and advice! ...thankful for your wisdom and willingness to share with those of us chicken keeping orphans :)
If you do write that book let me know ;)

It's all good....nothing bad there. 

lol.png
I've been told that a time or two on here! Stalk away....you won't find many from this year but many from years past. I like helping those who really want to learn and so I find those people seem attracted to my posts~ironically.
big_smile.png

Well, thank you immensely for sharing all your experimenting!! I use ACV in their water and just started fermenting my layers' feed with it, learned from your broilers page ! I wish I could learn time management better! Next time I'm in WV I may have to look you up! Thanks again and please keep sharing!

Back
Top Bottom