acv with "mother"

I know this is an old thread, but I have learned so much from it. I too will be giving my girls as babies and into their old ages ACV!! Even maybe myself as well. Thank you everyone for writing this. I even laughed out loud at work.
yippiechickie.gif

lol.png
I've been told that a time or two on here! Stalk away....you won't find many from this year but many from years past. I like helping those who really want to learn and so I find those people seem attracted to my posts~ironically.
big_smile.png
Bee I've been told not to use the ACV in the summertime because it messes with their calcium, makes it lower or something. Are you using it in the summer to?

I used to use it all year round and saw no changes in the flock. Now I don't use it because the fermented feed has acetic acid as a byproduct of the fermentation process and it's just no longer necessary to use ACV.

Sounds like another one of those chicken myths that get started and passed around no matter how much we try to squash them.

I used to use it all year round and saw no changes in the flock. Now I don't use it because the fermented feed has acetic acid as a byproduct of the fermentation process and it's just no longer necessary to use ACV.

Sounds like another one of those chicken myths that get started and passed around no matter how much we try to squash them.
yeah I was thinking the same thing to or rumors started by the folks that have the worming products so folks will buy more of those to worm their birds with.

OK so I guess I could stop using it as well. I did stop using it in the summertime so just in case if that was right. I found something in one of my eggs that I'm not sure of what it was. But it was long like a worm. I want to worm them to be sure but don't want a wormer med that you have to throw the eggs away because that is such a waste. At a loss as what to do. Don't want other folks finding something like this in them because it liable to freak em out.

You could mix some grated ginger root into their ration and see what comes out. I'd make it a goodly portion and I'd do it for three days so that each bird got some.

http://www.curezone.org/forums/am.asp?i=479834

As expressed in this article, parasites develop resistance to the repeated use of any antihelmintic and that's no different with herbal type remedies, so changing them up at times and not over using them, will be a more effective use of natural helmintics.

Usually about now or early spring I'll add something like ginger or garlic to their feed just as a spring tonic.

Another good method of preventing parasite infestation is the yearly cull of nonproductive, unthrifty, older or less healthy birds that are more likely to carry parasites and keep adding that cycle back into your coop/soils. A healthy bird usually won't carry heavy parasite loads, particularly heavy enough to enter into the reproductive tract.

You could mix some grated ginger root into their ration and see what comes out. I'd make it a goodly portion and I'd do it for three days so that each bird got some.

http://www.curezone.org/forums/am.asp?i=479834

As expressed in this article, parasites develop resistance to the repeated use of any antihelmintic and that's no different with herbal type remedies, so changing them up at times and not over using them, will be a more effective use of natural helmintics.

Usually about now or early spring I'll add something like ginger or garlic to their feed just as a spring tonic.

Another good method of preventing parasite infestation is the yearly cull of nonproductive, unthrifty, older or less healthy birds that are more likely to carry parasites and keep adding that cycle back into your coop/soils. A healthy bird usually won't carry heavy parasite loads, particularly heavy enough to enter into the reproductive tract.
Thank you, I'll try that. They all get the FF every day so don't know what was up with that one. I also give them fresh garlic every few weeks as well. I have an international market I can get the fresh ginger much cheaper than Walmart.
When you say a good amount, like 1/2 cup for 12 girls and 1/4 cup for the 10 heritage ones?
Thank you Bee for the link.....will read that.

I don't really think about amounts, as you probably know....the ginger is really strong, so I just grate about half a cup and mix it in the feed. A little less for the dog and it has to be mixed into something wet for him as he will pick around it if I just put it with his dry food.

Could be that giving garlic that often has built up a resistance for it by the worms in your flock. I wouldn't give any kind of deworming thing more than a couple of times a year, maybe four times, living in the south like you do.

I don't really think about amounts, as you probably know....the ginger is really strong, so I just grate about half a cup and mix it in the feed. A little less for the dog and it has to be mixed into something wet for him as he will pick around it if I just put it with his dry food.

Could be that giving garlic that often has built up a resistance for it by the worms in your flock. I wouldn't give any kind of deworming thing more than a couple of times a year, maybe four times, living in the south like you do.
OK thanx Bee!

I realize I am coming in late on this subject, however, it might be of help to some? I just bought a bottle of Braggs ACV with the mother at my Safeway grocery store. (I live in California) It was expensive, $7.00 for 32 oz. But it is the "Good Stuff".

Back
Top Bottom