Advice on Free Range Peafowl

Little Re Shed

You would be surprised, and may not even know that there are probably pea owners within 100 miles or even closer; I'm not sure if you looked locally on the Web. I found mine, less than 40 miles from where I live in Florida, on the local Craigs list and Thrifty Nickel/American Advertiser web sites. Neither of these two sellers were in it for the money, they just had too many pea's and needed to sell the excess, and the price was less then $50 per peafowl. All the pea's I purchased, four in all, were 2 years of Age.

I made sure the 1st and 2nd pair's wings were clipped because they were free roaming on 10 acres with an 8ft high fence, and had a ladder to climb into the trees. Several Months later, I got three more, but decided not to clip their wing and placed them, for 2 weeks in the Chicken coop by themselves. Afterward they were released and have, for several months, remained on the property faithfully.

Those last 3 were given to me by the sellers who contacted me offering, free of charge, three 1 year olds, 2 males and one peahen. That makes 6 goobers all together, and they all perch each night in the same big old pecan tree. They are a goofy bunch, but I love them all.

smile.png
Hope that you find a peahen....JC

I would go for a peahen around his age. You could get an older peahen but normally older peahens pick on young males so if you can I would try and find a peahen a year old or about a year old.
thumbsup.gif
agreed get one his age, my 3year old girls boss my 1 year olds around.
Also Peas can be very friendly but not in a touchy feely way, they like to be around you more if you don't try to touch them, look at it this way they don't go around touching each other and when they do they are to get out of the way of the one touching them.
Some of mine love their head scratched but i raised them from hatch so they are very imprinted on people , they will stand right next to you and you can reach down and just pick them up but they do not like it, don't never stop mine from standing there again though
wink.png

LittleRedShed,
Please don't clip Oscar's wings. Flying is the only way peas have to get away from predators (even though I know you think you don't have predators...) and any other dangerous situation.

There really is no way that you will be able to keep him off the road, and I notice that in an earlier post you say that there is a lot of traffic on this road? I'm sure Oscar is enjoying free ranging. But you might want to reconsider letting him roam for his own safety, and also, as others here have said (I have no experience with this), because you will be liable if he causes a traffic accident.

I am glad you are having fun! Let me introduce you to the birds; the one on top of the Ram is Rambler, the one on the log is Woody, the one on the taillight is Lightfoot, the one on the sawhorse is Hoss. the one on the stick is Twiggy, the one walking on the drive is Rocky, and the turkey on the roof is...... wait for it......... Pepper.

PeaLover130 suspects you are pulling our legs
lau.gif
but we had a good laugh
thumbsup.gif

Go to your profile page and scroll down -- betcha it's already there
thumbsup.gif
My profile does not show all my photos most all of my photos are under my signature on the lower left where it says Show off your peas
clap.gif

Minxfox showed me how to do that and i don't remember cause i only did it one time so PM her and ask her how to do it. all my photos i posted on that thread shows when you click on it,

Hello everyone -
We recently purchased a one-year-old Peacock. He is currently being housed in our chicken run with our other chickens. We plan on free ranging them in about eight weeks once everyone is familiar with where they're supposed to sleep at night. Will it be likely for him to meander over to our neighbors property? We are on 5 acres and we have mature pine trees and a creek right behind the coop. I'm hoping he won't go to a neighbors house but I'm not sure how far and how brave he will be? I'm looking to get some insight into this issue.

If he can see it, he will likely go check it out. If nothing bad or scary happens to him he will continue to visit and assume that the neighbors are part of his territory.

Our coop is surrounded by mature pines - 45 feet. But the neighbor has a tempting pond and maple tree. We are not a very busy road - but there are fast drivers unfortunately. We don't have predators thankfully.

So far our Oscar seems to be protective of our chickens and guineas. I'm really hoping he sticks close to them! I really don't want to keep him penned. I just worry about our neighbors. I may hurt have to warn them.

Hopefully he will be like the chickens and stay in your yard. Since you don't have another peafowl it isn't like he has an example of what a peafowl would do free-range as far as wander and he won't have a partner in crime for wandering so hopefully it will all work out and he will be like the chickens and guineas.

Your neighbors need to know what a peacock sounds like so they don't get scared. I never thought they sounded like a screaming lady, but some people get scared because they think it sounds like someone screaming for help.

Back
Top Bottom