ALABAMA!!

I am in North Alabama near Tuscumbia. I am looking to get started back with a few Delawares. I was looking for a hatchery or someone close by in North Alabama or southern tennessee that might be able to help me.

Wisher 1000 I am rehoming him because he is roaming to the neighbors house and causing problems (eating their dogs food etc). I will give him to a GOOD home. He is the sweetest dog and my 4 & 5 year old boys will be heartbroken to see him go.

I belive given a large enough area or a family that can be at home during the day would keep him at home. He doesn't roam far and he has never chased deer etc.

I will post some pics when we get home. He would have to be pic up only as I have no way to transport him. If you have any more questions let me know.

I don't have any ducks at the moment, but have been seriously considering getting some for a while, now. I have 23 acres and a creek running through the middle of it. I will have to build a duck pen at some point, but for now, they could stay in the coop with the chickens and guineas.
I wouldn't recomend keeping ducks and chickens together
1. because most chickens are bigger than mallards
2. the chickens can peck and kill the ducks ( i know because it happen to me)
3. Ducks need more water than chickens and the ducks make a bigger mess with it

Does he seem to be protective of the birds or just of the property? What does he weigh? Did you raise him from a pup? How old was he when you got him and was he raised in the coop/barn? I am interested, but I have to convince the DH (I sorta' promised no more dogs until the one we have is gone.
hmm.png
)

I would say, both. But I have only had him for less than 2 wks. I took him because the guy that had him had too many and between feeding chickens, gunieas, goats, quail and dogs he was going broke.

I would guess he weighs about 75-80 lbs. He has been raised around animals of different types all his life. When I got him I left him in the chicken run for about 4 days. The chickens sat on top of him. I let him out after that so that he could patrol the property. He began to roam when I went back to work this past Mon. He stays at home as long as someone is here. But I work 5 days a week. I feel like if someone could be at home with him, he would stay around.

Let me know if you need any more information. I hate to let him go, he is a great dog, but my husband is set against a underground fence and I can't let him upset the neighbors.

Hi All:

I posted elsewhere, but somebody told me about this thread. I didn't even know there was an Alabama thread. I live in Auburn and rescued two mallards from a college student who was keeping them in his bathtub. One is a male and one female. they were born at the beginning of the summer. They are very sweet and good with my four chickens (well, they bully them, but it is not that bad). Anyway, I can't keep them. They aren't legal in Auburn. I am the person who got the Auburn chicken ordinance passed (my friend and I, along with a nice city council womam), and it would be a real battle to try to get ducks legal - a battle that I am not up for. I am afraid that I am going to get caught with them because they love to quack loud in the morning. And in any case, my yard is really small and we don't have a pond, and I only took them in to try to find a good home for them (the guy was going to just release them).

Would anybody be interested in taking them? I would be happy to drive pretty far to take them to a good home.

Tiki, I am in LaFayette and have a friend with a huge pond in Roanoke that already has some ducks---a few indian runners and mallards. I talked to her and she would be happy to take them to put on the pond, but she wants to know if you think they would be ok just to turn loose in a big area, no fence, not much human interaction, etc.

He is 4yo.

I never saw them. Both times it was the middle of the night. He woke us up barking. It is the only 2 times I have heard him bark.
The first time he was between the chickens and the woods when he started barking. By the time my DH got his pants and shoes on and grabbed his gun, he was at the other side of our house barking toward the road. DH believes it was coyote but never saw it so we don't know for sure.

The second time was about 3 nights later he was between our house and the woods when DH got to him. No idea what it was. But like I said, he doesn't bark any other time. Not at dogs or cats etc.

The man I got him from said he had killed a bobcat.

Back
Top Bottom