Ameraucana Chick Color vs. Adult Plumage

What color would my babies be considered? I have four brand new pullet chicks, and each is subtly different in color, I'm very excited to see how each turns out!!

Are yours EE or true Ameraucana's? Curious to see updated pics. What colors did they grow up to be?

Hatchery tells me both of these (two on the right side) are true Ameraucanas. Not too sure. Suspect EE.
Either way we are happy with them.

Are yours EE or true Ameraucana's? Curious to see updated pics. What colors did they grow up to be?

Hatchery tells me both of these (two on the right side) are true Ameraucanas. Not too sure. Suspect EE.
Either way we are happy with them.

The only big hatchery that has 'true' Ameraucana is Meyer, and they only have Blue/Black/Splash. MyPetChicken.com has true Ameraucana, but they source theirs from Meyer. If the breeder/hatchery does not specify color, then they are Easter Eggers.

I'm pretty sure mine are just EEs, but I love them anyway! I also found out just this morning that I actually have three hens and one rooster, we heard his first crow, lol! They are just a little past three months old.

All four: Christian, Jasmine, Ariel, Anna

Jasmine- the darker chick - hen

Ariel- the red chick - hen

Anna- the small light grey chick - hen

Christian- the larger yellow chick - rooster

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure mine are just EEs, but I love them anyway! I also found out just this morning that I actually have three hens and one rooster, we heard his first crow, lol! They are just a little past three months old.

All four:

Rooster: Christian (was really yellow as a chick)

Lighter chick-hen: Anna

Darker chick-hen: Jasmine

Red chick-hen: Ariel
Christian is a pullet. That is female only coloring, and the comb is still nearly invisible. Ariel is your rooster. That is classic male coloring with the dark red on the wings and shoulders, that comb is very well developed and red, and he has long, thin male saddle feathers on his back near the base of the tail.

I have only white and buff ameraucana hens, and a white rooster. I just hatched some babies and they are completely black. Is that normal?

Last edited:
Okay I have an add on ? If you have pure true Americana do I have to breed same color to another of the same color. I already have a 2 black 5 lavender and one blue splash hen. My toaster is silver. So can I or cannot I breed all the to my roo.

Okay I have an add on ? If you have pure true Americana do I have to breed same color to another of the same color. I already have a 2 black 5 lavender and one blue splash hen. My toaster is silver. So can I or cannot I breed all the to my roo.
A silver cock over black, lavender and splash hens will result in mixed colored offspring...aka Easter Eggers.
http://AmeraucanaAlliance.org/forum/index.php?topic=33.0

Back
Top Bottom