Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

This is our white Ameraucana. We named it Snowy since it's all white but I wonder if it will stay white. Thoughts?
smile.png

70191_snowy.jpg

Rest In Peace Spike.
Early this morning I lost the first chicken that has ever died under my care. I have only been doing chickens for a couple years so I am sure there will be more but this first one really hurts.
A pack of dogs managed to pull his head off through a chain link fence. I have no idea how they manages that unless Spike was trying to fight them and somehow got nabbed.
I am devastated. He was my favorite. At only 4 months old had just the puffiest beard and muffs. Such a sweet gentle bird. I hatched him from eggs I bought. So sad.
Now smaller wire is going around the chain link. I made up a three page newsletter for my neighbors talking all about Ameraucanas and the trials/adventure I have had trying to hatch shipped eggs and on the last page... I printed pics of dismembered Spike. I hope it is shocking to my neighbors. We have told them over and over that their dogs are bothering our chickens. I know they just think "oh yeah chickens.. dime a dozen.. no big deal". We spend hundreds reinforcing our coops. Just thought the chain link was tough enough so had not double fenced it. I guess that is a lesson hard learned. I am so sad.
62282_img_7657.jpg

(That is my blue marans on the left)

hugs.gif
X2 so sorry for your pain and loss.
I live in a rural area and everyone thinks their dogs should "roam free in the country". I put up an electric fence. It cost me less then $50.00 and saved alot of my chickens. It does not kill the dogs, only gives them a quick zap. A little stonger then the feel of a 9v battery on your tongue. I have been zapped by the fence and it is something you try not to do again. I hope your letters to the neighbors helps.
rant.gif

Quote:
x2...except ours were being pulled thru by Coyotes. They even went so far as to kil my Male SQ Dewlap Toulouse. Until, I trapped one and let her squeal and yelp, that night, to scare the others off. I didnt hurt her, she was just scared out of her mind. They never returned.

Coyotes are smart enough to remember danger. Dogs too lady! cant say the same for Coons.

Back
Top Bottom