Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Quote:
Ok I am just starting out here but I didn't think that a white pullet would be in the same color family as a blue roo. I think blue is supposed to be with blue/black/splash.
hu.gif

Right. You could breed her to a black roo and make splits, but it would require seperate pens, notekeeping and so on.

So a blue roo over a white hen wouldnt make splits or splashes just an "EE" so to say?

Quote:
Ok I am just starting out here but I didn't think that a white pullet would be in the same color family as a blue roo. I think blue is supposed to be with blue/black/splash.
hu.gif

Im in the same boat lol ive always raised them but I am just now getting into specifics for show stock and quality, and i thought if you crossed a blue roo with a white hen you could get splash?? can anyone help us?

Blue on blue or blue on splash gives you splash. Blue on Blue = 50% Blue, 25% Black, 25% Splash; Blue on Splash = 50% Blue , 50% Splash

Last edited:
Quote:
Right. You could breed her to a black roo and make splits, but it would require seperate pens, notekeeping and so on.

So a blue roo over a white hen wouldnt make splits or splashes just an "EE" so to say?

No- you would get blues and blacks, but the white could come back to haunt you. I wouldn't do it.

You could use black X white and if your lucky you will get blacks split white. Do not sell the culls to anyone though. Also you may get some real unexpected colors also. I got from breeding white to black= blues and duns so the breeding season was a waist for me since I did not want any of those colors in my flock. I could have used the blue/white X white but I got very disappointed and dumped them all before I got tempted to use them.

I got rid of my layers last Spring, and started again from day-old chicks. Finally...I have a wealth of eggs again. The dark eggs are from (27 week old) BCM's, the 6 light brown from (25 week old) Lavender Orpingtons, and the first blue egg from a Wheaten Ameraucana. Surprisingly the first egg laid within each of the three groups happened exactly at 23 weeks 1 day. This has to be an unusual coincidence. Hope you enjoy the eye candy!
Eggs009.jpg

Ive had a white roo crossed over with a blue girl and black girl, all of them gave me blue chicks. I kept the blue daughters, and got two blue girls whose father was a black, crossed over with the blue girls.

Then I crossed the blue granddaughters back to their sire, got blues and blacks.

Then I sold the flock and as far as I know, not one white chick came out of those breedings in the third and fourth generation. I don't know how it could be seeing no whites anywhere or remotely like dove colors with white factor on these chicks. The original white roo has a pedigree of three generation of whites, no other color but crossing him with blues and blacks, he produce all blues, no blacks. His grandchicks all either blacks or blues. Why does this occur? Is he of recessive white instead of dominant white?????

When he was breeding the white girls, all the chicks are whites. No other colors nor any colors bleed thru. In turn, when I sold the white chicks, they were also with above flock, all of their offsprings were either black or blues. No whites popped up.

thanks for all the info guys! I think im going to stay on the safe side and wait until I get a black roo to breed to my white hens, but other then that how do they look...any suggestions??

Back
Top Bottom