Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

pips&peeps :

Quote:
Keep the split to breed with!!!!! He is very nice.

Thanks for the advice, I wasn't sure what to look for in a all black. He has a nice full muff - is his comb OK?​

Quote:
I thought the white in Ameraucanas was usually recessive, so this kind of fits. No whites (smokey chicks) in later generations is a bit surprising but quite possible if small numbers of chicks were hatched.

I have been looking for LF lavender in ky. Hard to find is an understatement,so,can anyone tell me yes or no if I cross a blue hen x black roo do I end up with lavender? Or maybe its the other way around? Anyway thanks

Quote:
lav x lav = 100% lav offspring

lav x black = 100% split offspring (visually black and carries the lavender gene hidden)

split x split = 25% pure black offspring
50% split offspring that look exactly like the blacks but carry the lavender gene hidden
25% lav offspring

split x lav = 50% lav offspring and more splits

split x black = 50% blacks & 50% splits and you won't be able to tell which carry lav until you test breed everything.

Blue is a whole different color in the BBS (Black, Blue, Splash) family. Most agree the two shouldn't be mixed.

o k, then how do you take a flock of ameracuana and get lavender. Im old but I know it has to start somewhere. and,by the way, it is just a personal mission

Ok I need some gender help with my splash chicks. I have 4. They came from a splash/splash pen. And I do not know but some of them are really white. Two have coloring what I would think a splash looks like. But the other two are pretty white. Is there such thing as splash and then supersplash? lol
They are just over 12 weeks old.
My names for them will probably give it away what I think they are but I keep going back and forth.

1st. is Wesley. He has big feet and is tall. I have always pegged him as a cockerel.
62282_photo-3.jpg

2nd. Gweneth. Gweneth is pretty tall but has a very pale comb.
62282_splash.jpg

3rd. Don. Don is as tall as Wesley and Gweneth but has a more bumpy pinkish comb.
62282_photo-4.jpg

4th. Princess Buttercup. Princess is pretty short and stands like a hen. Her comb is not very pronounced but I think is pinker than Gweneths.
62282_photo.jpg

Don and Gweneth are very white. Will greyish feathers pop up later? Are my gender guesses close?

Quote:
You have to breed from a bird that has the lavender gene. That is where it starts.
smile.png
You take that bird and offspring and cross back. Crystal Creek gave a perfect example of what to expect when breeding lavs, blacks and splits. It would be much easier finding a Lav Am or Split Lav Am then say starting with a Lavender Orpington to introduce lav into your flock. There are breeders that have done YEARS of legwork to get these Lav Ams to where they are. No sense in starting from the bottom.

Have you checked the Ameraucana Breeder's Club for a breeder near you? www.ameraucana.org

If you can't find birds for sale, maybe you can hatch some Lav Am eggs?

I have checked the list but dont find anyone that has LF. Found some bantams but not what I want. I dont want to ship because of the stress on the birds so I would like to find some close. thanks for the help. I better change that, I have not found anyone in ky. with LF lavender.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom