Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

She has a very nice beard.If the rooster carries white as a recessive you will get 50% white chicks.If not all will be colored.Mated together those colored birds will yield 25% whites.

She has a very nice beard.If the rooster carries white as a recessive you will get 50% white chicks.If not all will be colored.Mated together those colored birds will yield 25% whites.
Okay so if I take the best cock (if none turn out white) out of F1, and breed it back to the mothers, I will get 25% white, and if I then keep a white cock from there and breed back again, I should have better %s of whites, correct?

Last edited:
Yes there should be enough white pullets to breed white to white resulting in 100% white.Watch for the yellow and eliminate those from your breeding pen.After that select for type and size when you can.When they breed true and meet the standard then they are ameraucana.A plus on whites it is easier to keep a diverse gene pool which helps with vigor and egg laying.Since white removes any color they do not have to be severly inbred to maintain a pattern.I may have stepped on some toes there but that is only my opinion and not ment to offend.My bantam whites are excellent layers.Laying about 6 eggs per week per hen.I feel this is partially due to a diverse gene pool.By using whites that pop up in other colors the gene pool is diverse.There are genes from black,blue,silver and even buff in my flock.

Looks like you have what you need to start your project.The breed history says we used Araucana to develope the breed.At the time any blue or green egg layer was called Araucana.What most of us used are now called EE.I never owned a tufted or rumpless bird until about 3 years ago.I like to encourage new breeders as they are the future of the breed.
thumbsup.gif

Yes there should be enough white pullets to breed white to white resulting in 100% white.Watch for the yellow and eliminate those from your breeding pen.After that select for type and size when you can.When they breed true and meet the standard then they are ameraucana.A plus on whites it is easier to keep a diverse gene pool which helps with vigor and egg laying.Since white removes any color they do not have to be severly inbred to maintain a pattern.I may have stepped on some toes there but that is only my opinion and not ment to offend.My bantam whites are excellent layers.Laying about 6 eggs per week per hen.I feel this is partially due to a diverse gene pool.By using whites that pop up in other colors the gene pool is diverse.There are genes from black,blue,silver and even buff in my flock.
It's so nice of you to encourage me. Seems you are the only one on here sadly.. Jamie Carson APA judge was the one that told me to start this, as I had mentioned I had EE's. I sent him some images and brought them to a fair show just so he could see them - he said that the type is strong enough in both that it will be a fun project for me. Said that it would be easier to start out with white males with the right colour, but if that is not possible, I can work around it. Since you have bantams, would you mind giving me some tips on my BBS crew? I haven't found many breeders of the Ameraucana bantams on this thread, so I'd love to get your thoughts.
_MG_3868.jpg
I have two males that look like this (one has a crooked toe and is not in my breeding pen - but is my backup).
_MG_3866.jpg
1 pullet that is blue - this would be my favourite.
_MG_3862.jpg
2 black pullets that look like this (her tail is low because she was caught offguard).
_MG_3875.jpg
You can see the way she holds it better in this corner shot.
_MG_3876.jpg
Male's face.

Last edited:
Can anyone critique this boy for me please? I want to hear the good the bad the ugly he is young and has not finished feathering good yet but i would like to know what the guru's think of him. Thanks!
smile.png

I would say you have some nice bantams there.Lets see if I can add a file photo of some blues and lavender.

:thumbsup Love the lavenders!

Do you find there are a lot of breeders of the bantams in the US? These guys were hatched in Canada, their parents were originally from the US. I have no idea who had them in the beginning. Just that a lady named Bridgette passed on eggs to a friend of a friend and then that friend passed on the chicks to Jamie Carson, who then sold them to me. He knew how much I wanted them. He didn't want to let them go. There was a couple of weeks of him sleeping on it lol.

Last edited:
Well time has changed things a little.We started as the Ameraucana bantam club.The bantams still have a good following but more women are keeping chickens for eggs so there is more demand for large fowl.

Well time has changed things a little.We started as the Ameraucana bantam club.The bantams still have a good following but more women are keeping chickens for eggs so there is more demand for large fowl.
Yes, but they eat a lot less, so there is a lot less expense in those terms. Less eating, less pooping, smaller accommodations, etc.

Oh yeah, blame it on the women ;) lol

Back
Top Bottom