Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Quote: I should have put them outside. I was afraid they could not handle the cold.
roll.png
I think now they could have.

I heat my coop with a radiator heater, so I imagine they should be fine. I have a batch in the incubator now and just hatched a set last week. I never thought of timing before my obsession with this breed. I cover my run in plastic, so this really gives me a lot of space all year. They use the run all winter and the ground never freezes in there.

I don't mind, I'll know by spring who I want and who I'll rehome if I can't rehome now.
wink.png
. I'll have a bit more work on my hands, but I should have an easier time rehoming a brand new laying pullet then a baby I'd imagine. Or, hubby will have to build another coop to keep them all since I'll be very attached to them.

The heater is for me, so I can take my chair and sit with my flock everyday.

I would NOT heat a coop. They get dependent on the heat and if something should happen and they lose heat they will die. Don't make the run where it cuts down their ventilation. My goal is to keep the wind off of them, not to stop all wind. I usually put something around the BOTTOM of the run so they have a place to go with no wind blowing, if they want it. I leave the top open on all my coops and runs. I do wrap the windy side of my coops with feed bags to keep the wind off the chickens at night too. Again I don't wrap the WHOLE coop that ventilation is very important.

I would NOT heat a coop. They get dependent on the heat and if something should happen and they lose heat they will die. Don't make the run where it cuts down their ventilation. My goal is to keep the wind off of them, not to stop all wind. I usually put something around the BOTTOM of the run so they have a place to go with no wind blowing, if they want it. I leave the top open on all my coops and runs. I do wrap the windy side of my coops with feed bags to keep the wind off the chickens at night too. Again I don't wrap the WHOLE coop that ventilation is very important.
i find ventilation is very important to if u don't ventilate it gets to steamy and the ammonia from the poop can do major harm to the chickens.
know i do heat my coop as the Canadian winters do get cold and my birds adapt fine if my coop is no more then 10 degrees difference from outside know its a different story if ur coop is 15 to 20 degrees Celsius then it is to much of a temperature change from inside to outside and u can kill ur birds from the temperature shock. i keep both my coops above freezing in the winter not only for the birds but for myself so the water dosent freeze all the time

I agree chickens are quite cold hardy. to around 0 maybe lower. Good ventilation is a must. especailly in hot or wet areas.
just keep them out of the wind and dry and they should be fine.

It gets down to actual -30F temps with -70F windchill. Sometimes for weeks at a time.

Since I'm disabled, I heat the coop for myself rather then my flock. They are my therapy birds and I sit with them everyday as they jump up on my lap and snooze. I'll do anything that helps me try and forget the 24/7 severe pain I live in. I'm homebound and it's like getting out of the house for a moment.

If my heat breaks, my coop will stay warm as its very insulated and we'll buy a new heater right away. We keep the heater on low anyways. Plus our coop is inside our garage, so I don't have to walk through snow to get to my birds. There's no right or wrong to heat a coop. I spoil my flock. They have a fresh daily supply of greens as I sprout alfalfa, wheat, oats, peas, corn, and any grain that will sprout without molding.;)

Last edited:
I am new to this but I will give it a go.... his back is too long, his tail has a sharp break at the back and it looks like he might have split wings.

Thank you for your feedback. Anybody else please give feedback. Barngoddess, comments please! I think his back is long too. I think his tail is to high. I have never raised a chick to rooster before. Is he in an awkward stage? Shouldn't you be able to tell around 6 months if they should stay or go. I know some of this is subjective. Comments please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any opinions on this guy would be appreciated. I plan on showing him this season. I am still working on darkening up the legs and have made improvements. Right now the leg color in most of my females is better than my males.Any advice on getting the leg color darker would be appreciated. :)

Back
Top Bottom