Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Quote:
It's very hard to make judge from the pictures you posted but I do agree with what you've said about the back and his tail. Can't tell eye colour in the picture. I'm also still working on evaluating wings myself. Would want to see them open to know if they were split. Pictures from both sides, the front and the back, would be ideal. And, icing - an open wing for us to evaluate.
big_smile.png

Any opinions on this guy would be appreciated. I plan on showing him this season. I am still working on darkening up the legs and have made improvements. Right now the leg color in most of my females is better than my males.Any advice on getting the leg color darker would be appreciated. :)

I like him! Very much. I have ZERO experience with White Ameraucanas but those legs look close enough to a light slate to me. Would love to hear what those with more experience think of him.

Noseychickens:

ep.gif
STUNNING!! .............Oh no, wait a minute, he has too many faults. So do those hens in the background. I think you should cull them and send them to me. I will give them a safe home.
love.gif

Your birds are probably carrying the barred gene. I know my flock was and I have removed it finally this year. I started by only keeping the pullets with the darkest legs each year and ended by crossing them to a blue cockerel this spring. All the offspring this year were blue, no barred birds and I got rid of the white cock bird that was in the breeding pen. I will breed the recessive white birds to each other this fall and keep only the visually white chicks. I will also keep the nicest cockerel to breed to the remaing white hens I saved and keep those visually white birds for a bit more genetic diversity in the variety.

Your cockerel appears a bit on the small side (or too compact), how much does he weigh? I think he could have a better transition from the back into the tail also.

Your birds are probably carrying the barred gene. I know my flock was and I have removed it finally this year. I started by only keeping the pullets with the darkest legs each year and ended by crossing them to a blue cockerel this spring. All the offspring this year were blue, no barred birds and I got rid of the white cock bird that was in the breeding pen. I will breed the recessive white birds to each other this fall and keep only the visually white chicks. I will also keep the nicest cockerel to breed to the remaing white hens I saved and keep those visually white birds for a bit more genetic diversity in the variety.

Your cockerel appears a bit on the small side (or too compact), how much does he weigh? I think he could have a better transition from the back into the tail also.
He weighs 5.78 pounds. He is about 6-7 months old. He is 20 inches tall and about that long from the beak to the tip of his tail (he was moving around when I tried to measure him LOL). How can I tell for sure if they are carrying the barred gene? I've never had any barring show up. I do have LF Blue I can work with if I need to. I have been keeping only the females with the darkest legs this year and will continue to do so. So much to learn! LOL

Last edited:
If the birds are from my line, they are most likely carrying the barring gene. To test, you can breed your cock bird to a blue hen or do in this in reverse to make sure the hens aren't carrying it. Alot of my white chicks had white dots on their heads.

If the male is double barred all the offspring will be barred, if he only carries one copy you will get barred birds and blue/black birds. If the hens carry barring the male offspring will be barred.

The barring gene causes the skin pigments to lighten. Which includes eye color and the leg color.

If the birds are from my line, they are most likely carrying the barring gene. To test, you can breed your cock bird to a blue hen or do in this in reverse to make sure the hens aren't carrying it. Alot of my white chicks had white dots on their heads.

If the male is double barred all the offspring will be barred, if he only carries one copy you will get barred birds and blue/black birds. If the hens carry barring the male offspring will be barred.

The barring gene causes the skin pigments to lighten. Which includes eye color and the leg color.
Thanks I will be trying this out! I did have some birds from Bridgett, which I believe come from your line, and 2 other lines as well. Thank you for your help. :)

I LOVE it when the experienced folks respond - especially when the bird they are responding to is basically a nice one. Really helps to train the eye. I've been thinking about this all morning!!! Thanks, Jean, and Nosey!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom