Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

I can't decide which color I like the best, so it is nice to have blue wheaten since you then get THREE colors!
X2
big_smile.png
I like variety!

? (Know the movie, just don't know why)
"go ahead make my day" ......... do you know how many people i have seen Shot-Down without a blink ? .......... bringing what they thought was an Ameraucana on to this thread with joy in their hearts .. only to hear a *bang*... "It's An EE" .......(i know it's still ringing in their ears) i see it coming everytime and i want to warn the person but it's to late ................. Bang .............

Just my sense of humor (not making fun of anyone -especially the person with the hopeful EE/Ameraucana . This is stuff (i would think) one would only hear & see on Seinfeld ...........

Life is full of Fun if we just take a good look at it .

I hope no one is offended but smiling is ok ,
Shannon

Since I'm totally new to the world of chickens, what makes Americaunas better, or shall I say, more preferred over EE?

I have 5 EE chicks and they were sold to me as Americaunas. It doesn't bother me because I didn't know of either one prior to my purchase.

Since I'm totally new to the world of chickens, what makes Americaunas better, or shall I say, more preferred over EE?

I have 5 EE chicks and they were sold to me as Americaunas. It doesn't bother me because I didn't know of either one prior to my purchase.

While I do prefer one breed over another, one is not persay better than another. The thing with AMs and EEs is ameraucanas are pure breed. EEs are actually nt a breed and mutts with Ameraucana or Araucana somewhere back in their ancestry. If you just want some pets and colored eggs, Easter egger are great! They have good personalities and are very interesting to watch grow, they change so much. Ameraucanas can be shown, lay blue eggs, and if you are in the business of breeding- a usually sought out breed. Both are great it all just depends what your purpose for them is or your goal.

Last edited:
But what I always think is so weird, is you can have an Ameraucana, that is totally pure bred, but if it isn't on the list of official recognized Ameracana colors then it isn't an Ameracana, but an EE.

Nothing
big_smile.png
They are both great chickens but for different reasons.

EEs generally are better layers and their egg size is bigger. They can lay a blue or green egg. They can come in any color which is fun for variety. Because they are a mix of Ameraucana and other breeds they are cheaper to buy.

On the other hand, pure Ameraucanas lay a blue egg (sometimes blue/green) and they breed true so you can always count on the color you are getting. You can have fun breeding your birds and working towards the Ameraucana standard of perfection and enter your birds in shows. Eggs, chicks and grown birds sell for higher prices.

I have both EEs and Ameraucanas and love them both
highfive.gif

"go ahead make my day" ......... do you know how many people i have seen Shot-Down without a blink ?  .......... bringing what they thought was an Ameraucana on to this thread with joy in their hearts .. only to hear a  *bang*... "It's An EE" .......(i know it's still ringing in their ears)  i see it coming everytime and i want to warn the person but it's to late ................. Bang ............. 

Just my sense of humor (not making fun of anyone -especially the person with the hopeful EE/Ameraucana . This is stuff (i would think) one would only hear & see on Seinfeld ........... 

Life is full of Fun if we just take a good look at it .

I hope no one is offended but smiling is ok ,
Shannon

I though you were talking about a clint Eastwood movie (he is my favorite actor).

I could if been downright rude about it, but I do not see any good in that. Besides who would want to scare people away from such a great breed! I have both AMs and EEs, I was just informing them that they did not infact have ameraucanas. I have been on that end of the deal, getting EEs sold to me as AMs or araucanas. Of course I was upset that I was mislead, but the fact that it was a different breed didn't mean I was going to like or enjoy that chicken any less. It is like carrying a baby for 9 months an having your heart set on a boy but ending up with a girl, but you shouldn't love your baby any less. But I am sure not everyone looks at it that way.

But what I always think is so weird, is you can have an Ameraucana, that is totally pure bred, but if it isn't on the list of official recognized Ameracana colors then it isn't an Ameracana, but an EE.

It can be confusing, but that is all part of it! Lol. I see it sort of as a kick in the butt to start working on new (or existing unaccepted colors) and spread the word. With time and dedication more colors will be accepted

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom