Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

This is my small brood of 2 Ameraucaunas and 3 gold laced Wyandotte... As far as the "Ameraucanas" (quotations because I now doubt that based on this thread) they seem to be getting in feathers that resemble wild turkey feathers in every way... even the white band on the end... anyone have any ideas what kind of "Ameraucaunas I have? (Bought them at a feed store where they did not know what variety of birds they had)

This is my small brood of 2 Ameraucaunas and 3 gold laced Wyandotte... As far as the "Ameraucanas" (quotations because I now doubt that based on this thread) they seem to be getting in feathers that resemble wild turkey feathers in every way... even the white band on the end... anyone have any ideas what kind of "Ameraucaunas I have? (Bought them at a feed store where they did not know what variety of birds they had)
Feed stores do not sale Ameraucanas. Thats what they call them, some times they call them Aricana's ( I spelled that wrong ) , but they are all EE's ( Easter Eggers) They come in about any color and lay any colored egg. They are mutt's. I have 6 " Mutts " and just love them. but I post on the EE thread... lol

Your doubts are correct. They are not ameraucanas. They are easter eggers. They are commonly mislabeled at farm stores.The farm stores call them many different things: ameraucanas, araucanas, americanas, americanas (the easter egger chicken). Easter eggers are mutts that come in many different color combos and and can lay virtually any color of egg.

I have more pictures of roosters! These are from pipsnpeeps and coming up on a year old now. Looking for a critique! I have two more to take pictures of as well.

Rooster 1

I think his back is a tad too long. It seems off

Rooster 2

I like his thickness better but I feel like his tail angle is too high. Thoughts?

Bonus: First babies of the spring
love.gif

She sound very sweet and is pretty. But she is not an Ameraucana, she is an Easter egger

What makes her not? I'm not trying to be snarky, I am genuinely curious. :) I am new to chickens! The person I got her from was told she was an Ameraucana. I looked up some of the standards and pictures of Ameraucanas, and Tillie- my girl- seems to fit a lot. She does have cheek puffs/beard, just smaller. She has the right type of comb and the slate feet and legs. From what I can tell her color is acceptable, but out of proportion red/brown to black.

Now, I'm much more familiar with dogs (dog groomer). In the dog world, just because a dog doesn't fit the standard to a T, it doesn't mean the dog isn't purebred. It means it wouldn't win a conformation show. For instance, I have encountered everything from deep red-orange, 40lb Golden Retrievers with pointy muzzles to 100lb cream-white Goldens with broad muzzles and chests. They're all the same breed, and neither of those examples fits the standard, but they are still Goldens. Is the same sort of thing not true for chickens? Are there not purebred but just poorly bred examples of different chicken breeds? Again, genuinely curious! I love to learn.

She is very beautiful! Not only is she a very cheerful color, but she has the dark feet that I like so much. I love how she has such similar colors as the chicken in the background (a wyandotte, right?). I think it makes both even prettier (but I like color coordinating chickens, I am a bit odd)

Thank you! The girl behind her is a Golden Laced Wyandotte, named Sylvia. :) She and Tillie like to hang out together a lot and are my two favorites.

What makes her not? I'm not trying to be snarky, I am genuinely curious. :) I am new to chickens! The person I got her from was told she was an Ameraucana. I looked up some of the standards and pictures of Ameraucanas, and Tillie- my girl- seems to fit a lot. She does have cheek puffs/beard, just smaller. She has the right type of comb and the slate feet and legs. From what I can tell her color is acceptable, but out of proportion red/brown to black.

Now, I'm much more familiar with dogs (dog groomer). In the dog world, just because a dog doesn't fit the standard to a T, it doesn't mean the dog isn't purebred. It means it wouldn't win a conformation show. For instance, I have encountered everything from deep red-orange, 40lb Golden Retrievers with pointy muzzles to 100lb cream-white Goldens with broad muzzles and chests. They're all the same breed, and neither of those examples fits the standard, but they are still Goldens. Is the same sort of thing not true for chickens? Are there not purebred but just poorly bred examples of different chicken breeds? Again, genuinely curious! I love to learn.

Thank you! The girl behind her is a Golden Laced Wyandotte, named Sylvia. :) She and Tillie like to hang out together a lot and are my two favorites.

Not snarky at all, perfectly fine to ask questions :). Te main thing that makes her an eater egger is her color. At closer examination we might be able to find a few other things. She has the classic "wild type" color that many EEs have. She is not purebred, she has something else back in her linage. Easter egger are actually not a breed they are mutts with a common look. The thin with looki up Ameraucana r Araucana in Google is a majority if the birds that pop up are Easter eggers. If someone post an EE calling it an Ameraucana, Google sees that, so it must be an AM. This is why Google is not always the best source. Here is the Ameraucana breeders website

www.ameraucana.orghere you can view pictures of real ameraucanas. It. Is not uncommon for people to sell these under the wrong name including farm stores and hatcheries.

There is also many debates about the mixing two pure ameraucanas and getting a color that isn't accepted and what to call it. A non standard Ameraucana or an Easter egger. If you go back the ought the pages of the last few months you will see the many debates.

Back
Top Bottom