Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Easter Eggers are not really a"Breed" . They are mixed chickens that have a high likelihood of carrying at least 1 gene for blue eggs. They can and do vary greatly in color and type and will lay eggs mostly in the green range with pink, blue or brown a possibility. The typical easter egger has some characteristics in common with ameraucanas such as pea combs, muffs and beards.
I was aware of that but wanted to be sure I could still call them Easter Eggers if I put rumpless rooster in with them. Thank you for all your help. this has been very helpful.

Babies!!! Finally some sweet little peeps from our brown reds. :yiipchick it's a start . I can test hatch some if you want lol My hatch rates are terrible (5/21 for the Amers, 4/5 for Marans). I think the "dry incubation" we tried was a little too dry, perhaps. Was hoping more would make an appearance today, but looks like they might be done. :( So glad to have these little guys, though! :jumpy

lol @Hangtown Farms . The girls are just starting to lay again for our second hatch. This might be all I have in me for this year - who knew hatching would be so stressful?

Surprise from the incubator this morning...with 3 blue hens and a blue roo it was bound to happen eventually!

I just placed an order for my first Ameraucanas!! I am so excited to get them! What can you guys tell me about the lavenders? I understand that they are still considered a project color. Can you direct me to information on how they are bred?

I started this spring by getting 4 "Ameraucanas" from a local ranch. Well I got duped. Should have asked to see the parents. So of those four I ended up with 3 males that look mostly like black laced wyandotte hybrids, and my one remaining "female" easter egger looks to be a male as well. I swapped out two of the males a few weeks ago, at that same ranch, for three more "females" and it looks like I might have two females when all is said and done. So two females out of seven. Rotten luck..

Anyway, I decided to stop gambling and ordered from a known breeder (thanks for suggestions by members in this thread!) So at least I'll end up with the real thing. (Hopefully NOT all males) :/

Can't wait to be an Ameraucana owner!

I just placed an order for my first Ameraucanas!! I am so excited to get them! What can you guys tell me about the lavenders? I understand that they are still considered a project color. Can you direct me to information on how they are bred?

I started this spring by getting 4 "Ameraucanas" from a local ranch. Well I got duped. Should have asked to see the parents. So of those four I ended up with 3 males that look mostly like black laced wyandotte hybrids, and my one remaining "female" easter egger looks to be a male as well. I swapped out two of the males a few weeks ago, at that same ranch, for three more "females" and it looks like I might have two females when all is said and done. So two females out of seven. Rotten luck..

Anyway, I decided to stop gambling and ordered from a known breeder (thanks for suggestions by members in this thread!) So at least I'll end up with the real thing. (Hopefully NOT all males) :/

Can't wait to be an Ameraucana owner!
There is a link in my siggy to the Lavender Am Breeders page. You will find some helpful info there charts of how they breed etc.

Remember, that if you put the Blue/Black/Splash Ameraucana WITH the Wheaten Ameraucana, the chicks will be Easter Eggers, not Ameraucana, since they will no longer conform to any Ameraucana color.
How are the Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas created ?

How are the Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas created ?

Just get some. To create is a long project 5-10 years. Lots of time,feed and culls. Why bother when they already exist. If you were asking how they were created then check out the history on the Ameraucana Breeders Club website.

Back
Top Bottom