Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Number 5:

Number 7:

Goldie, it's really hard to tell at this age. You can't tell by feathering, it's just too early. I tried to look at the combs, but being able to tell color by pictures is difficult. Looking for three rows of peas can sometimes fool you also. Many male Ameraucana have small pea combs and it makes sexing them by comb development difficult.
I have a feeling No 1 is a pullet and maybe #2. After that they all starting looking the same to me. The best way to tell at this age is to look at the color of the comb. The males will have pinker color in their combs than females. Female combs stay pale until they are near lay. So, that is still months away for them. So, look for a pink color in the combs, that should give you a good idea. I thought I saw two in your pics, but as I said, hard to tell from pictures.

Goldie, it's really hard to tell at this age.  You can't tell by feathering, it's just too early.  I tried to look at the combs, but being able to tell color by pictures is difficult.  Looking for three rows of peas can sometimes fool you also.  Many male Ameraucana have small pea combs and it makes sexing them by comb development difficult. 
I have a feeling No 1 is a pullet and maybe #2.  After that they all starting looking the same to me.  The best way to tell at this age is to look at the color of the comb.  The males will have pinker color in their combs than females.  Female combs stay pale until they are near lay.  So, that is still months away for them.  So, look for a pink color in the combs, that should give you a good idea.  I thought I saw two in your pics, but as I said, hard to tell from pictures.

Thank you for your help! There is one, #4 with obvious pink. Other than that I'm stumped! With all my others it was beginning to be apparent by this point! I'll be patient!

Thank you for your help! There is one, #4 with obvious pink. Other than that I'm stumped! With all my others it was beginning to be apparent by this point! I'll be patient!

I'm on my first go around with pure Ams. Most of my other breeds I can sex anywhere between 2 and 6 weeks. My Ams kept me guessing for over 3 months

I love my birds. We have 4 of the different coloring patterns and ours aren't as skittish as some because my son and I have played with them since they were little. They do like escaping though; our stand by the big wire door to the coop.

We know we have a good rooster and that the eggs were fertile but couldn't get any of the eggs to fully develop and hatch when we had other kinds at the same time that did develop and hatch. Do I need a different temp for these?

Anyone planning on heading to the Heart of Dixie Show in Anniston, AL this weekend? It is the ABC's first Alabama Meet (actually two meets - state and special).

Look for the little old lady that is wondering around looking confused - that'll be me! I'd love to meet other fanciers of this great breed!

- Susan

I've wondered the same thing about Ameraucanas possibly needing different hatching conditions. This year, in the same hatch, we had 18 of 23 Barnevelders shipped from CA to KY hatch but only 2 of 17 Ameraucanas shipped from a couple hours away hatch. I know, they may have been handled more roughly, but still it made me wonder!

Back
Top Bottom