Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

This helps a lot! I've tried reading up on the genetics side, and what happens when you cross the colors, but there's so much involved it's easy to start overthinking everything :) I've seen BBS Ameraucana before, but I've also found them listed as Blue and Black individually on the ameraucana.org website, so that made me wonder if they were one in the same or different. The same with Wheaten/Blue Wheaten, I couldn't figure out if one was a variation of the other or if they were two entirely different classifications. I swear, I'm a professional 'over-thinker' regarding almost everything.
I was exactly in your shoes a year ago when ordering my Ameraucanas. The breeder kept referring to them as WBS Ameraucanas and I had no clue what he meant - I don't think a google search explained that
idunno.gif
It's basically breeder jargon and I don't think I found it on the Ameraucana association website last year either. By the way, the BBS "varieties", abbreviation, etc works for other breeds with those color varieties as well - like Orpingtons and Marans.

Breeding a Black to a Blue isn't really crossing varieties. They are both technically the same color/pattern (extended black), the Blue just happens to have a single dose of a dilute gene that turns black coloring into 'blue'. The Blue gene only affects black coloring, not the overall pattern.
Same thing with Wheaten and Blue Wheaten. Both are the same color/pattern so can be bred together.
I understand your logic, but they are different varieties. There are no varieties named BBS or WBS. I see novices use those terms often and I've figured out they refer to multiple varieties that are similar, as you point out. If you wouldn't write it as the variety of the bird when filling out an entry form for a poultry show it isn't the variety of that bird.

Ok, I might be a little excited about these guys, but I just had to share more pics.

The first one is looking a little "splashy" to me, but since this is my first year with blue & maybe splash.....

first set...

second set

Note - the box was just a temporary holding place while I took pictures. :)

Ok, I might be a little excited about these guys, but I just had to share more pics. The first one is looking a little "splashy" to me, but since this is my first year with blue & maybe splash..... first set... second set Note - the box was just a temporary holding place while I took pictures. :)
Oh my!!! Susan they're gorgeous!! Really!!

Ok, I might be a little excited about these guys, but I just had to share more pics. The first one is looking a little "splashy" to me, but since this is my first year with blue & maybe splash..... first set... second set Note - the box was just a temporary holding place while I took pictures. :)
I think your right about the splash and those are beautiful chicks !

I understand your logic, but they are different varieties. There are no varieties named BBS or WBS. I see novices use those terms often and I've figured out they refer to multiple varieties that are similar, as you point out. If you wouldn't write it as the variety of the bird when filling out an entry form for a poultry show it isn't the variety of that bird.
John, I agree. I do throw BBS around, and I am a novice, but I admit that is a lazy way of typing "I have black, blue, and splash Ameraucanas". It's not the correct term for each individual bird, but most people understand what it means
Top one is definitely a splash. Your blues are much lighter than mine. I'd love to see comparison pictures as they grow. I don't know if the down is indicative of what they will look like grown out.

Last edited:
John, I agree. I do throw BBS around, and I am a novice, but I admit that is a lazy way of typing "I have black, blue, and splash Ameraucanas. It's not the correct term for each individual bird, but most people understand what it means
Top one is definitely a splash. Your blues are much lighter than mine. I'd love to see comparison pictures as they grow. I don't know if the down is indicative of what they will look like grown out.

Good idea! The three dark ones, I'm betting are cockerels - just because of the darker cape. But, as this is my first year with blues, that is just a guess at this point. It will be interesting to see how these guys and the first 4 grow out.

Back
Top Bottom