Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Good idea!  The three dark ones, I'm betting are cockerels - just because of the darker cape.  But, as this is my first year with blues, that is just a guess at this point.  It will be interesting to see how these guys and the first 4 grow out.
You've seen mine, they are almost black. I just wonder if they are too dark. That's why I'd like to see side by sides when they feather

Last edited:
Wow. yes, those are very dark! I wonder how that will impact lacing.
That's exactly what I'm waiting to see. If AbbevilleOz will post some pictures, he has some that are about 9 weeks old. That's why I want chicks from the black rooster so badly. He's over 3 light blue hens and a splash. All blues coming from that splash rooster are that dark. If it helps lacing, that's wonderful. If they are too dark, I'm going to pick my best blue rooster and try again

I purposely set my pens up to breed for mostly blue this year. Most of my blues are light, with not the greatest edging. I'm trying to improve on that using a black parent. If they are too dark to show the edging, I will start going the other direction next year.
My splash chicks are coming from one very dark blue hen. I'm hoping I can reproduce that rooster, but with a lower tail set

Back
Top Bottom