Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Recently, Walt Leonard asked APA members if they would like to see APA sponsored egg shows at the shows. There was quite a bit of encouragement and I wouldn't be surprised to see something along those lines coming down the pike. However, for Ameraucanas to participate in APA sponsored egg shows, there would have to be a color range, or standard - possibly similar to what the Marans breeders have done.

In the process of the project for the new color card concept, the ABC Board has been kicking around different ideas about what are the acceptable colors and which are not. For a long time, there were many varieties that were less standardized than others (eg, black is probably the most common, ergo the most standardized, while brown red or silvers might be considered, arguably, not quite as standardized), so their egg color is probably less consistently desirable than, say, the blacks.

Having said that, this breed has been around long enough to start standardizing, and establishing goals for, one of the identifying characteristics of the breed - the blue egg color. This may come in the form of a range of colors, or the "highest and best" to "acceptable, but not desirable" colors.

Of course, this isn't going to happen overnight. It's going to take time, work, focus, and dedication by a lot of breeders. But I think we'll get there. :)

Oh, meant to add - with my last hatch in the incubator now, I don't need anymore chicks! lol Although, I'm sure DnD and I will be doing some "horse-trading" once he gets his NPIP. :)

While the natural tint of blue in a shell may vary, one thing is key...the inside of the shell should match the outside of the shell. If it doesn't, there is a shade of brown applied, even if ever so slight, meaning outcrossing. While in some colors, especially those under development, it may be considered "acceptable", in the established colors the shell should not show brown influence.

Really!!!!!! I took him and another in from someone who didn't want him, and was just going to make soup out of him!! I knew he looked so similar to my EE's, but I was told he wasn't.
This is the other one, Roscoe-

Easter egger, too? Or?
As you can tell, I'm very new at this, but I want to learn!!
1f60a.png

Really!!!!!! I took him and another in from someone who didn't want him, and was just going to make soup out of him!! I knew he looked so similar to my EE's, but I was told he wasn't.
This is the other one, Roscoe-

Easter egger, too? Or?
As you can tell, I'm very new at this, but I want to learn!!
1f60a.png
Easter Egger as well. Most feed stores and hatcheries label their Easter Eggers as Ameraucana. Then the people who buy them as such, breed them or have to rehome a few accidental cockerels. They sell them claiming the birds are true Ameraucana, because they don't realize they were misinformed.
True Ameraucana are similar to hatchery Easter Eggers, but the main differences are in the plumage coloring and skin color. True Ameraucana are only available in a handful of colors/varieties. If no color/variety is specified at purchase, it's probably an Easter Egger. Also, true Ameraucana have white skin. Most Easter Eggers have yellow skin. The easiest place to the see the skin color of a bird is to look at the bottom of the feet.

Last edited:
Really hoping my Sage is a pullet. Her head feathers are darkening up a bit, and her comb is pretty wide, but it's still pale and not red like Basil's.

Basil is in front, being his usual blurry self.

I think she has a pretty good shape overall though.

Back
Top Bottom