Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Looks like a girl to me!  I am envious as I have not had a splash in this years hatches.  Currently, they are my favorite.  Hard to have a favorite of these babies as I love them all and to my husband's chagrin, I think I have to have every variety.  I build the coops and take care of them so I don't pay a lot of attention to Spouseman.;)

I do everything but building, for now anyway. Splash is my favorite variety too. I really like blue wheaten too. I need to get me some of those.

lol.png
wee.gif
clap.gif

Through some luck and also skilled negotiation on my part I am looking to purchase some Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas!!!!

Woot!! I need to find 2 to 4 pullets between 1 to 8 weeks, or about 8 straight run chicks.

I have $100 to spend (including shipping)

I hope to have them sent between now and 2 weeks from now! I'm so excited!!!!

Last edited:
Let's see if I can help you with that. I have many pics of that variety, but not sure of the age. I'm thinking around three weeks. I have found the best way to tell when young is by looking at what is coming out around the neck. Dark feathers=male. Light feathers=female

Notice dark pin feathers coming in male. This is a wheaten btw.

Here is what a female would look like:

Notice the lighter colored (tan) feathers on female's back. Males generally color in darker like below picture. It can depend on the line. You may see some lines not as dark or males may feather in more slowly making identity early on difficult.

Male ^ is the one with head hidden. That is a wheaten. A blue wheaten would have more blue color instead of black, but still more color than a female would have.
Thank you! That gives me an Idea what to look for!

My mottled blue, Selene died suddenly. All of a sudden i could hear her breath. I started her on tylan and two days later she died in my arms minutes after her 4th dose of medicine. I was heartbroken... I really hope to get another at some point. She was so lovely!

My mottled blue, Selene died suddenly. All of a sudden i could hear her breath. I started her on tylan and two days later she died in my arms minutes after her 4th dose of medicine. I was heartbroken... I really hope to get another at some point. She was so lovely!
hugs.gif

I am so sorry!
hugs.gif

I bought 1 dozen BBS Ameraucana hatching eggs. 11 hatched Saturday, which I thought was good. Are there way to grades chicks? I just want to know if these are good quality Ameraucana's.
Here's a few pictures

Back
Top Bottom