Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Ok guys here is one of my black cockerels. He's about 11 weeks old hatched March 7.
Notice the bit of brownish red leakage on his left shoulder area. Will he be a cull or when he molts will this go away? They've already lost a lot of feathers...give your experienced advice please
1f49b.png

I would not want to use him in my breeding program correct? Oh and some still have white tips on their wing feathers which I think I heard once they molt they grow in black...
Thanks guys
1f49b.png

Last edited:
Feather stubbles on feet???
I can get a pic. Their like little stubs on his upper feet but still there..,
An obvious cull right? Not lots of them but just the same. These are on a blue cockerel. He's also light blue compared to my other blue boys.

Last edited:
Yes, cull for stubs on the legs and/or feet. And, it is recessive, so that means that both the sire and dam are carrying it. You might want to do some test breeding to see who is carrying it.

It is a common problem in the wheatens, but I've also seen it in whites.

Yes, cull for stubs on the legs and/or feet.  And, it is recessive, so that means that both the sire and dam are carrying it.  You might want to do some test breeding to see who is carrying it.

It is a common problem in the wheatens, but I've also seen it in whites.

Thanks Susan. I figured so. The blue boy was gonna be a cull once the leg feathers started happening.
But out of my 4 black males after looking them over two have leakage! One was a possible keeper, the other wasn't. The boy I have my eye on is probably my nicest and thank goodness no leakage yet!! So I've got two blacks to keep for breeding (hopefully) and two black females. After I've learned that fertility can be a problem I've decided to keep a backup of each color. Hopefully! Lol.
My wheatens I'll need y'alls help with! I guess sometimes culling is pretty obvious! Sure hope my two blacks stay black
1f615.png

Thanks Susan. I figured so. The blue boy was gonna be a cull once the leg feathers started happening.
But out of my 4 black males after looking them over two have leakage! One was a possible keeper, the other wasn't. The boy I have my eye on is probably my nicest and thank goodness no leakage yet!! So I've got two blacks to keep for breeding (hopefully) and two black females. After I've learned that fertility can be a problem I've decided to keep a backup of each color. Hopefully! Lol.
My wheatens I'll need y'alls help with! I guess sometimes culling is pretty obvious! Sure hope my two blacks stay black
1f615.png

Always a good idea to keep an "heir and a spare". :)

Always a good idea to keep an "heir and a spare". :)

Good morning Susan! That's just a **** good idea isn't it?!
Here's a cool story for you
1f49b.png
yesterday I was sitting in the pen and Eve was on my lap soaking up the TLC. She's very responsive to me, LOVES attention from me, and she seeks me out without treats
1f49b.png
so we're sitting there and I called out to Brandy, my wheaten female who was across the pen...Brandy glanced my way at the sound of her name and continued on her business, as soon as I called to Brandy Eve immediately looked straight at Brandy and called out for her!! 3 cockerels came trotting over, Brandy ignored me! Lol I was very surprised but after having birds for a year now I shouldn't be. She definitely recognizes the names of the birds with names. Lol. It was one of those neat little moments that leave you slightly baffled!
My Eve is so precious! She has a forever home for life! And I must say she is quite the elagent little lady
2764.png
Again the more tame they are the more their intelligence is obvious!
Oh and Brandy is aloof, but she knew her name within a couple of hours... when I named her she shot me a glance like what took you so long?! No wonder we all love our Ameraucanas so much! Eve is very special, hands down my favorite and she absolutely knows it!
1f60a.png

So the moral of the story is name those birds!!! Lol. Especially the ones that we have more contact with
2764.png
2764.png

Back
Top Bottom