Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Quote:
Hey, does this hold true for the Wheaten/Blue Wheaten variety also, that too many crossings will result in a white appearing chicken?

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks speckled!
big_smile.png

Quote:
I got a girl this color from my blue wheaten ameraucana roo over a black araucana hen.....of course mine is rumpless
big_smile.png

Quote:
When I purchased my current flock of whites, I was unaware that they carried the barred gene. So, some of the offspring from last year will have light legs because the barring gene inhibits dermal melanin (skin pigment). This year I have a cock in my breeding pen that is of totally different bloodlines so two copies of the barring gene cannot be passed to the males and some of the females will not carry it. I am only keeping pullets and cockerels with darks legs; the lighter legged babies are on the cull list.

The chicks can hatch out looking a blue or black kind of color with a dot on their head, this is the barring gene showing up in their down. My chicks all feathered in white by the time they were 14-16 weeks of age. I would suggest using a black bird to improve your line. The first batch of chicks will be black, but they will carry the recessive white gene and the next cross will result in white chicks. Make sure you mark all the chicks from the cross so you don't end up with some white chicks from your black birds down the road.

You might end up with some barred birds also....

Quote:
Hey, does this hold true for the Wheaten/Blue Wheaten variety also, that too many crossings will result in a white appearing chicken?

Could that explain this supposedly Splash Wheaten Rooster here, who is basically white save for small spots of red stripping? I had believed those pullets to be his sisters, but if he is the result of too many generations of splash over splash, then the girls can only be partially related.
46473_rooster_2.jpg

I have 7 Blue and 4 Black true Amerauca chicks. They came from really good breed stock from noted breeders... They are 7 weeks old, healthy and are getting many real feathers... I would take pictures but they think I am an "ax murder".....
roll.png

My question is: Did your chicks have large 'beards' at this age or are they just fluffy around thier necks?

I purchased two Ameraucana hens (Now--a yr. old) that have really nice fluffy beards.... But I got them @ 16weeks--can"t compare them to my chicks...

IF you have pictures of chicks ages 7-10weeks old, it woulld be helpful.. Thank you

Quote:
You can check them out on my website windyislandpeeps.com. Go to the Ameraucana page. I have pictures posted of the babies at several stages of life, from hatch to adulthood. None looked like they had full beards until well into their "teenage" years. The momma hen at the bottom of the page was one of the babies, so you can see she did indeed grow her beard
smile.png

Quote:

Could that explain this supposedly Splash Wheaten Rooster here, who is basically white save for small spots of red stripping? I had believed those pullets to be his sisters, but if he is the result of too many generations of splash over splash, then the girls can only be partially related.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/46473_rooster_2.jpg

I don't think he's a splash wheaten ; the blue / splash never affects red or gold so splash wheatens simply have the black pattern muted to splash . If his parents were blue or splash wheatens then I would hazard a guess you have a white sport indicating the chance his parents both carried recessive white .

Quote:
They were fluffy faced from day one but the beards were there at least from 5-6 weeks as far as I can remember....I will say that the beards were not apparent with they ate yogurt and it dried their beards slicked back.

Here's a pic of a chick that's younger...

51356_7-5-10_am_pullet_awry_left_view.jpg

Here's a pic that is about 7 weeks:

51356_amer_8-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom