Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Hello, everyone! I've been considering maaaaaybe showing my beloved bantam Wheaten AM pair eventually, and was wondering about their quality.
smile.png
They came from a breeder who claims to carry "EQ" birds. Regardless, they are the sweetest little boogers on the planet!
big_smile.png

Ling's beard seems to get blacker as time goes on.

Chicken photographer that I am, this seems to be the only good picture of Selah!
sad.png

~Alex

Hello, everyone! I've been considering maaaaaybe showing my beloved bantam Wheaten AM pair eventually, and was wondering about their quality. :) They came from a breeder who claims to carry "EQ" birds. Regardless, they are the sweetest little boogers on the planet! :D Ling's beard seems to get blacker as time goes on. Chicken photographer that I am, this seems to be the only good picture of Selah! :( ~Alex
I don't know if they're show quality for sure or not but wow they are striking? How old are they?

Does the self blue girl have willow (green) legs or are they slate? It looks to me like they might be willow. If that's the case, she's an EE. If they're slate, she may very well be an Ameraucana, although if they all came from the same place, you might not want to breed her to sell chicks as true Ameraucanas, because chances are she'd have some pretty radical hidden genes somewhere in there....They're all beautiful birds, though! I love your cockerel's coloring. Reminds me of my EE boy, Monty. He died this year...
Well I have bad news for you . That is a EE and not a girl or self blue either . He has feathers on his legs so not Ameraucana . His tail shows darker feathers so he is probably splash . That is to say 2 copies of blue . Hard to say what other color genes he has . The red shoulders do not belong on a splash , blue or self blue . Plus even EE do not usually have feather legs .

Does the self blue girl have willow (green) legs or are they slate? It looks to me like they might be willow. If that's the case, she's an EE. If they're slate, she may very well be an Ameraucana, although if they all came from the same place, you might not want to breed her to sell chicks as true Ameraucanas, because chances are she'd have some pretty radical hidden genes somewhere in there....They're all beautiful birds, though! I love your cockerel's coloring. Reminds me of my EE boy, Monty. He died this year...
She indeed has slate leggs legs and they can from different places only the 2 hens came from the same the roo came from a lady far from them

Hello, everyone! I've been considering maaaaaybe showing my beloved bantam Wheaten AM pair eventually, and was wondering about their quality.
smile.png
They came from a breeder who claims to carry "EQ" birds. Regardless, they are the sweetest little boogers on the planet!
big_smile.png

Ling's beard seems to get blacker as time goes on.

Chicken photographer that I am, this seems to be the only good picture of Selah!
sad.png

~Alex

Some things your cock bird will get marked down for are: his beard should be all black, his wings are carried too low, his tail is too high, and he has too short of a back. These are all issues in most wheaten/blue wheaten bantam flocks.

The female has a bit of ticking in her hackles and no color in her tail, but overall I like her and would use her for breeding.

I am looking to get ameraucana eggs in the spring to hatch out. I am unsure of the different lines and was wondering which had the best temperament and egg laying (or are they all pretty similar). Currently I have 3 buff orpingtons and two barred rock mixes.

Some things your cock bird will get marked down for are: his beard should be all black, his wings are carried too low, his tail is too high, and he has too short of a back. These are all issues in most wheaten/blue wheaten bantam flocks.

The female has a bit of ticking in her hackles and no color in her tail, but overall I like her and would use her for breeding.
I really appreciate your critique of Ling and Selah's quality.
smile.png
Thanks so much!

~Alex

Well I have bad news for you . That is a EE and not a girl or self blue either . He has feathers on his legs so not Ameraucana . His tail shows darker feathers so he is probably splash . That is to say 2 copies of blue . Hard to say what other color genes he has . The red shoulders do not belong on a splash , blue or self blue . Plus even EE do not usually have feather legs .

heeheehee! Yes, thank you, I know all that. That is a pic of my EE cock, Monty that I was saying her guy reminded me of. I am very much aware that he is not a girl, self blue, or an Ameraucana. Sorry, I should have put a caption on the picture. But that did make me giggle, I can see where you could have thought that, lol!

She indeed has slate leggs legs and they can from different places only the 2 hens came from the same the roo came from a lady far from them

Oh, well that's definitely a good sign! I say just breed her to a known true Ameraucana and see what kind of chicks you get. A test breeding, if you will. If there are any hidden genes that aren't showing up in her, they will probably show up in her babies. In the meantime, I see no reason why you couldn't show her. She's lovely!
highfive.gif

Blue Wheaten Ameraucana cockerel
Perfect timing. Does anyone have a mature or juvenile Blue Wheaten Cockerel that they would like to sell? Before you ask, yes I went to ABC & Alliance forums and there were no adds for any. I did not go breeder by breeder. I have 6 sweet little hens and I would love to be able to hatch some come spring. I live in E. TN, and do not mind driving a couple hundred miles if there might be one available.

Back
Top Bottom