Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

So I put my breeding pen together 2 hens and a young 5 month old cock clock and a bantam roo around 1 just because the boys get along. And I checked an egg today and it was furtil. Would my bantam roo be able to do that ( I hope not) or is my standerds 5 month little boy doing it? I really hope he is I plan to hatch some eggs.

So I put my breeding pen together 2 hens and a young 5 month old cock clock and a bantam roo around 1 just because the boys get along. And I checked an egg today and it was furtil. Would my bantam roo be able to do that ( I hope not) or is my standerds 5 month little boy doing it? I really hope he is I plan to hatch some eggs.

Bantam males can fertilize large fowl hens quite well... I would not bank on it being from the other cockerel...

So, I have this adorable Blue Ameraucana from Kara Ferri's lines. I have been back and forth on this one's gender for the last few weeks now. Some features make me think cockerel while other features make me think pullet. Can you tell me if it's a pullet or a cockerel, please.

17 weeks

Last edited:
So, I have this adorable Blue Ameraucana from Kara Ferri's lines. I have been back and forth on this one's gender for the last few weeks now. Some features make me think cockerel while other features make me think pullet. Can you tell me if it's a pullet or a cockerel, please. 17 weeks
LL
Cockerel, definitely... that's a saddle feather right next to your thumb...

Oh, thank goodness I'm not the only person who sees that. I posted these exact same pictures on a facebook page and everyone said "hen" or "pullet" except for one person. I knew people here on an Ameraucana specific page would know. Thank you!

No problem! The coloring says cockerel too, dark cape and all... but those are definite saddle feathers, lol... :D

Back
Top Bottom