Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

I have the same problem with my EEs and Faverolles. Guess they don't like bearded ladies. Though Penelope keeps her beard because she runs from all the hens that are higher than her in the flock and chases all those that are lower.

I just recently read through (some of) this thread, so many beautiful birds! Makes me even more excited to get mine.This Friday I am getting 1 ameraucana blue cockerel, 2 blue pullets, and 2 black pullets. I am getting them to hopefully show them through 4-H. I’m thinking this is the best place to come for advice. Do you guys have any tips/tricks with ameraucana breed or showing in general? I’ve had Easter Eggers and olive Eggers but never true bred ameraucanas.

I do have one question though. I’m getting two bbs ameraucana chicks and the lady I am getting them from has two blacks and two blues. Which should I get. What color is the most valuable/wanted for ameraucana bbs? The roo that I am going to have is blue if that influences any advice. Thanks again!

Sometimes breeding blue to blue ends up with blues that are too washed out.

If you could pick... I would think a blue male over one black hen and one blue hen would be nice.

That way you would get all three colors in the chicks, blue, black, and splash.

Sometimes breeding blue to blue ends up with blues that are too washed out.

If you could pick... I would think a blue male over one black hen and one blue hen would be nice.

That way you would get all three colors in the chicks, blue, black, and splash.
So what is the best overall combination for the best blues? What about the best blacks? And do you mean that over time the blue would be washed out through generations or always? Thank you so much for your help.

Well... if you want the best blues and the best blacks....

You need multiple trios of blacks where you breed for excellent examples of the SOP and cull ruthlessly so that each year there is improvement. Keep good records so that you can track and figure out what genetics are carried in your flock.

You can at the same time run a trio or two of Blues or a mix of Blues and Blacks. See how the chicks hatch and grow, and how ideal the color is...or not. Change breeding plans accordingly.

Keep great records.

These definitely aren’t the greatest pictures but we just got one blue ameraucana and one black ameraucana, both straight run (definitely hoping for pullets). We are getting more including a cockerel but that’s not for about another month.This is my first time raising true bbs ameraucanas and I am extremely excited!

Attachments

• 89FC9D97-7C8D-4134-A48B-253FA181CEBE.jpeg
    89FC9D97-7C8D-4134-A48B-253FA181CEBE.jpeg
    432.8 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom