Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Quote:
I've already responded to this.
smile.png
You'll get either solid white birds or white birds with gold/blue leakage.

Well, I've got terribly sad news. Had a freak winterstorm come through, knock out our power overnight for 10 hours, and. . . I lost a whole incubator of eggs AND a few chicks. The chicks were Wheaten/Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas, and the bator was half full of Wheaten/Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas. . . .

Why do electric/utility district companies have to stall out for TEN hours when there's not even any wind, like we normally get, which they usually solve in less than TWO hours?!
barnie.gif

I feel for you Illia , that's a hard loss . I have a 12 volt DC to 120 volt AC converter purchased at a very reasonable price ................... your post reminds me that I need to test run it on the 'bator before the next run .

Quote:
Aww too cute! I'd give them another 2 weeks- they still look a bit young to be showing the dark feathers.

SteveH- I bought one of those really expensive converters for my car just in case the power went out during incubation. Well- the power DID go out. When I took the bator out to the car to plug it in it fried BOTH of my 120v outlets.
rant.gif
And the converter!

I have a Q about my ameraucana. They are pure not EEs. They were both laying light blue eggs before the summer heat kicked in. They stopped laying and seemed especially more affected by the heat than my other breeds during the hottest months here. Now that the temps have dropped they both have started to lay again. However, one of them has a much greener blue egg now. She was laying a pretty light blue before. Now she has been laying this greenish blue for about a solid week now. Will it ever go back to light blue? Is this normal after they resume laying?

It may pop back to normal. I find that Ameraucanas, in some lines and/or colors, will lay a greenish egg when they first begin their cycle. It should go back to normal within 2 days to a week though.

Quote:
I had a pullet that laid almost an olive egg when she started to lay. The green component lightened over time and it is almost pure blue now. It will be interesting to see if the green intensifies when she starts a new cycle.

I do believe I have a "true" ameraucana! I have this chicken that was hatched March 1. I picked her up 3 weeks ago today from a lady who was thinning her flock, as this particular girl had been over-loved by their rooster and was missing feathers. She told me "It's a real ameraucana", which I tend to take with a grain of salt. She has green legs and has all the feathering/markings of a true red/brown ameraucana. Welllllllllllll she laid her first egg for us today (she had been laying where she was living before, but this is her first egg HERE), and it is BRIGHT blue!!!!! I have an EE who lays a beautiful bluish-minty-green egg, but this one is totally blue. You can REALLY see the difference side by side. I will try to get a better pic, as the one I took with my funky camera phone doesn't display the colors as well. Does laying a true blue egg mean she's a real ameraucana? I've been trying to get pics of her, but it's like she knows I have a camera and runs from it. I can put anything else in front of her, and she's fine... let me try to take a picture, and she's off like a dirty shirt!

Edited and Updated -- Got a picture of the eggs! The egg on the left is my EE's green egg from yesterday. The blue egg on the right is the one my ameraucana laid this morning!! It's sooo purdy. Go Lola! Sorry about the quality... funky camera phone.

59404_green_and_blue_eggs.jpeg

Last edited:
Well that's what I had thought, too... but when we went to the state fair this year, there were all these ameraucanas with 1st and 2nd place ribbons on their cages, and every single one of them save for one hen and one rooster (not from the same competitor) had green legs.

Back
Top Bottom