Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Quote:
I would say she is 7-9 months old. My buff gals are starting to lay again, most of them are pullet eggs though. Let me know if you want some of those......

Jean, were did you original stock for you buffs and silvers come from?

My original silvers came from John B. I have been outcrossing to black to improve size, so I have the F2 generation on the ground now and will be breeding back to a cock bird I purchased from Jim Fegan. (sp?) I have the pure silver girls in with a split to black cockerel for this springs matings.

My original buffs came from McKinney (they went out of business), Paul Smith (my show cock- he's pretty old) and John B. I added a cockerel from Gary Ramey to the pen this past fall; he is hatched from a blue egg. I hope to improve egg color with him, we'll see.

I'm thinking of adding buff and silver. I'm getting a buff hen from someone who ordered from John and I'm really thinking about the silver that muggsmagee posted on BST. They are also from John. I will probably order from you as soon as your's are laying and when my incubator is empty
big_smile.png

Curious, does your Gary Ramey cock have the same comb and eyes mine does? I mean, I'm sure mine is lesser in quality, but did all of his Buffs have the tiny little comb with hardly a first and third row, and did they all have the bug-eyed look? I really hope to get rid of the bug-eyed look. . . Never seen it before on Ameraucanas.

When I'm ready, I'll be interested in some eggs from you, but right now I'm not ready.

Blue Wheaten x Blue Wheaten gives a 25% chance of splash wheaten.
wink.png

Jean, I'll get some photos of the cockerel to show you what I mean by "bug eyed" - His eyes have very sparse, if any feathering around them and project from the general shape of his skull; instead of being within the socket, they come outward like on a Chihuahua dog or something. I always call it "bantam eyes" though, because honestly, I find that trait common with bantams. (and ugly in my opinion)

But, he's still my baby. He's soo sweet and calm, and even if he's feeling scared, he always runs up to me and lets me pet him or handle him. He's still not the greatest about being picked up though. It is not like he's flighty about it, he just doesn't know how to relax himself. He stiffens his legs, and flaps his wings a lot, which I find someday will get him hurt.

I just sent in my order to JohnB. 25 chicks, 8 Wheaten, 7 each Silver and Lavender, and 3 buff. I cannot wait. I have one 12 week old wheaten now and she is gorgeous. I will be interested to see the mix. I have had EE in the past, excited to move on to real Ameracauna.

Quote:
In some cases, yes, they will get bluer. In most cases, if they have not changed in 3 days they won't change at all. As the season continues, they will get paler, but not bluer.

These are her first 2 eggs. Isn't the off tint just a covering over the blue shell like brown eggs are a covering over white shells? Is there no hope?

Last edited:
Quote:
In some cases, yes, they will get bluer. In most cases, if they have not changed in 3 days they won't change at all. As the season continues, they will get paler, but not bluer.

These are her first 2 eggs. Isn't the off tint just a covering over the blue shell like brown eggs are a covering over white shells? Is there no hope?

No, Ameraucana eggs are blue all the way through.

Back
Top Bottom