Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Quote:
My chicks are looking good Travis! You and Tabs will be able to tell in a few more weeks what you have. I kept 4 from the same batch of chicks that I gave to you, and they ALL appear to be girls. Highly unlikely.

Quote:
WOW! Great rates! I had 20 WM eggs and now I only have 11 in lockdown!
hmm.png

Quote:
hmm.png

I got 50% hatch on my WM eggs (that's including all the extras). The PO here is especially brutal on the way in too, so that was good for me.

Quote:
hmm.png

Well, hopefully all 16 make it to lockdown. I've had several late quitters this year, from different eggs, so late that I've even had one pip, zip and then just stop...
sad.png

I'm hoping for lots of babies to pop out of these eggs!
fl.gif
I need a couple BW boys to grow out!!!

I have had sooo many late quitters this year! What is the deal with that? I used to get one every once in a while, and now I have these brand new incubators and I'm losing eggs left and right. The only good thing is I haven't lost any chicks- the ones that do make it are really hearty, I guess. It's so depressing though!
sad.png

Quote:
I don't know what it is. I'm having late hatches, like on day 22 and 23 as well.

Maybe it's just not a good year for chicks?
hmm.png

My Meredith eggs are the last that I will be incubating until the end of Summer, so 11 more days and I'm DONE!
celebrate.gif

Well...I'm hatching chicks like a mad woman today. This is the trouble with having a big incubator! I have hatched 7 Wheaten/Blue Wheaten Ameraucana chicks from Chicken Stalker (Karen), 2 Bantam Lavender Ameraucanas from AmyJ, a LF Lav Am from my flock...along with lots of OE's, EE's, bantam EE's, Isa/JG from Wynette and 2 GORGEOUS Sebastopol goslings from Jean. I had to put the bantam soccer players in with the goslings... temporarily. Look at the cuteness!!!

2 Sebbie goslings, bantam Lav Ams and bantam EE's all cuddling!
big_smile.png

45758_dscf4397.jpg

Quote:
I don't know what it is. I'm having late hatches, like on day 22 and 23 as well.

Maybe it's just not a good year for chicks?
hmm.png

My Meredith eggs are the last that I will be incubating until the end of Summer, so 11 more days and I'm DONE!
celebrate.gif

Yeah- I just don't know! I've never attempted this many shipped eggs either, but last week I had a bunch of my hybrids quit- and they never do that!

Love the goslings Muggs! Hoping we have some soon. I can't tell how old most of the eggs are so we're kinda winging it with 1/2 the eggs and a broody goose has the rest. That a LONG time to be setting- poor thing.

Quote:
Hmmm...I was also getting lots of quitters, up until a few weeks ago. The new bator may have made all the difference for me. This could easily turn into 20 questions.... For all practicality, I would run down through and test your thermometers, hygrometers, etc to figure out if they are off. Are you washing your eggs before setting them? Are you sterilizing your bators before each use? There are so many factors! Including the health/age of your flock. I was going nuts trying to figure this out for myself...my flock was young, healthy, I sterilized my bators AND did NOT wash my eggs. The only difference that has been made is buying a big ol' Brinsea. I've been having successful hatches since.

Do you do an eggtopsy to see the final stages? Have the chicks pipped through the membrane or did they die before lockdown? Are they wet/glued in the shell? What stage are they when they die? A lot of mine seemed to quit around day 15-16. Just before lockdown...which I couldn't tell they quit until after hatch.
hmm.png

It's frustrating for sure.
hugs.gif
I hope this turns around for you and you can figure out the problem.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom