Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

I am not the only person working on this project :) Plus I am in the middle of trying to figure out what to do next. I will not be sharing project birds. It can come back to bite you. You need to be careful who you "give" your hard work to. I have a goal, and someone else can take that, and misrepresent the birds. Not saying any of you would. I just want to see it through more, before I share.

I am only using female birds that are crossed so far. I am thinking I am soon going to have to keep a male to breed back to, and then start culling, culling, culling. I figure 2-3 more years.

There is a man in NJ I think, he has Sumatras. He is way a head of me.

The blue Andy hen. Is she from a hatchery? The reason I ask, is because they will cross other breed in sometimes to increase egg production. So they could have used a recessive white bird, with columbian, or as suggested birchen in the background.

I will post pics as I go. That is usually in the fall.
I do hope you keep up with the progress reports. I have followed the ABC forum thread and I understand about the problems with passing out project birds. I do want to be on the top of your list when it is time to distribute eggs or birds though! If your type is as good as I think from looking at your pullet pics, you should reconsider keeping a good male. Why not post a few pics on the ABC forum and get some advice from other breeders that have been where you are with a project? Sometimes in a project like this, you get too concerned about perfection and worry that it will never be good enough? I don't mean to sound like I am giving advice, you certainly don't need it, and especially not from me! ..lol...just trying to be a sounding board ????

Very nice. I really do love my Andulasian. *sigh* If I only had the room. She is a wonderful bird and I actually saw her perched on a rock watching out for the flock the other day! She isn't flighty or mean, but they are more vocal.
I wish I knew where that bird was, I would buy it. I have a few black minorcas that were given to me and they act a lot like Andulasians in my experience. I do not have any Andulasians right now though. The minorcas are very vocal.

I personally like the lacing on this one much better, but that is just my preference. The pair above's lacing make them look dark blue/black and white to me.
AndalusianHen.JPEG

That is a nice one too. Its not as thick.

Are you asking me? No. Not a hatchery bird. I picked her up as a youngster from a guy who obtained his birds from a respected breeder in my state. I had two to start with, but the other (that actually had better lacing) developed what I believe was roachback, so I couldn't use her. So my project has been very, very limited. Space was going to be a problem for me anyway, but I decided to fiddle around with what I had. I used my one good blue male. If I want to start a seperate line, I'm going to have to wait until I grow out another unrelated blue male. What's your thinking on using a splash male to cross with?

Yeppers, she is thicker then most BAs. Which is great!

I do hope you keep up with the progress reports. I have followed the ABC forum thread and I understand about the problems with passing out project birds. I do want to be on the top of your list when it is time to distribute eggs or birds though! If your type is as good as I think from looking at your pullet pics, you should reconsider keeping a good male. Why not post a few pics on the ABC forum and get some advice from other breeders that have been where you are with a project? Sometimes in a project like this, you get too concerned about perfection and worry that it will never be good enough? I don't mean to sound like I am giving advice, you certainly don't need it, and especially not from me! ..lol...just trying to be a sounding board ????

Not a problem, I have talked to people on the phone. I know weird right, the phone................................

This is a link to the Ameraucana Breeders forum. It talks about the project. Its worth a read.

http://ameraucana.org/forum/index.php?topic=1797.0

I've read that thread over so many times I'm sure it's etched on the back of my eyelids by now, haha...

What I'd love to find is someone interested in working on the same project that's close enough to exchange birds with...a partner in crime so too speak... :) A gal can dream anyway, lol...

Back
Top Bottom