Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Well, I see two blacks which I guess is your black sex links, and the other two look like blues from what I can see. The description sounds right.

I agree they look blue to me. Ive never had blue chicks. I cant wait to start getting some of my own :)

Excuse the bad photos. I left my phone at the feed store like any crazy chicken lady would do lol, so I have to use my laptop to take the pictures (my hubby picked up my phone this morning and has it at work). Anyway, I started out on the EE thread but I decided that this might be a better place to start because you guys know your Ameraucanas. I was told that a feed store by me had Ameraucanas so I went to check it out. I came home with three babies that they were pullets. They seem a little too colorful for pullets. SUPER SWEET chicks! I don't know what to think because it was the feed store and I hear it is hard to come by this breed. What do you think? Ameraucana or EE?

Yes, I do hang lights in my dining room all year round lol!

I just realized you might need a picture of the legs.

Last edited:
Excuse the bad photos. I left my phone at the feed store like any crazy chicken lady would do lol, so I have to use my laptop to take the pictures (my hubby picked up my phone this morning and has it at work). Anyway, I started out on the EE thread but I decided that this might be a better place to start because you guys know your Ameraucanas. I was told that a feed store by me had Ameraucanas so I went to check it out. I came home with three babies that they were pullets. They seem a little too colorful for pullets. SUPER SWEET chicks! I don't know what to think because it was the feed store and I hear it is hard to come by this breed. What do you think? Ameraucana or EE?

You have Easter Eggers - They were likely sold to the farm store by the hatchery as "Ameraucanas", but they are Easter Eggers.

Adorable little EE's! I've been told that 99.9% of feed store "Ameracaunas" are EE's and from my experience it's 100%! I have had some great EE's though. It's fun to see what coloration they will get and what color their eggs will be.

Without having to dig through 2655 pages of posts, does anyone have a color breakdown crossing the solid colors with wheatens? I can find the wheaten x wheaten but not what the breakdown of say blue X blue wheaten. Thanks.

Without having to dig through 2655 pages of posts, does anyone have a color breakdown crossing the solid colors with wheatens? I can find the wheaten x wheaten but not what the breakdown of say blue X blue wheaten. Thanks.
It is my understanding that blues should not be crossed with wheatens or blue wheatens. Blues can be crossed with blues, blacks or splashes, and wheatens can be crossed with wheaten or blue wheaten. Some people cross with splash wheatens too, but it sounds like splash wheaten is not yet an accepted variety. If you cross the blue to a wheaten variety, you will create Easter Eggers because their colors will not come out properly, they will not breed true. Many people would consider them mutts. I was bummed to hear this as I thought I could cross my lovely blue boy to my wheaten girl. I now have no use for him. Thought it would make blue wheatens, nope. I think you can, but it's a LOT more work than it's worth. Something that was done long ago.

Back
Top Bottom