Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

I just ordered some chicks from Meyer Hatchery and one is supposed to be an Ameraucana. What are the chances it's a true Ameraucana and not an EE or some other mix?

Low. Why don't you post a picture and we can try to let you know. :)

Edit; these are probably low quality but as pure as any other breed. But picture would still let you know.
https://www.meyerhatchery.com/productinfo.a5w?prodID=BAMF

Also, these are pretty new, when I started in on chickens several years ago they still had EEs straight up labeled as ameraucanas.

Just ordered today so I don't have them yet but I will definitely post a pic when they arrive. Thanks!!

I just ordered some chicks from Meyer Hatchery and one is supposed to be an Ameraucana. What are the chances it's a true Ameraucana and not an EE or some other mix?
If you ordered a blue/black/splash Ameraucana it will be an Ameraucana. I don't know about SOP quality. You must have gotten the last one their site says they are sold out.

Meyer has been selling EEs as EEs for many years. They weren't lying like some hatcheries and calling them Americana or worse Ameraucana or Araucana. They added Ameraucana a couple of years ago.

If you ordered a blue/black/splash Ameraucana it will be an Ameraucana. I don't know about SOP quality. You must have gotten the last one their site says they are sold out.

Meyer has been selling EEs as EEs for many years. They weren't lying like some hatcheries and calling them Americana or worse Ameraucana or Araucana. They added Ameraucana a couple of years ago.

That's what I ordered and I think I did get the last one because I went back to the page about 15 minutes after ordering to check something and they were sold out by then. I'm not planning to show or breed her, just want to know what I have in my little mixed flock especially since they are more expensive than the other chicks. Everybody in my coop right now came from my cousin's feed store so I know for sure what they are. This is my first time shipping chicks and you hear about hatcheries either lying or mislabeling them and I was hoping this one was reputable. Thanks!! Can't wait to see the little cuties when they arrive. Hatching 9/28 so I have to be a little more patient than a trip to the farm and return with whatever was cute 😂 but I will definitely post pics when she arrives.

It doesn't say so in my signature but every hen I have other than the 2 remaining ones from 2012 came from Meyer.

A nice thing about a real Ameraucana is that she WILL lay blue eggs. EE's CAN but in my experience they are more likely to be greenish than really blue. Of course an EE can lay pretty much any common chicken egg color.

Are you all set up with your Mama Heating Pad brooder? BEST way to raise chicks shy of an actual hen.

IMG_20200725_091542.jpg
Here's our pretty blue girl from Deer Run Farm. Only one to hatch out of 7 :hmm

It doesn't say so in my signature but every hen I have other than the 2 remaining ones from 2012 came from Meyer.

A nice thing about a real Ameraucana is that she WILL lay blue eggs. EE's CAN but in my experience they are more likely to be greenish than really blue. Of course an EE can lay pretty much any common chicken egg color.

Are you all set up with your Mama Heating Pad brooder? BEST way to raise chicks shy of an actual hen.

Great to know! I'm a little nervous about the shipping process but I figure so many do it that it must be okay. I've only used a brooder lamp in the past. Is the Mama pad a lot better?

View attachment 2338219Here's our pretty blue girl from Deer Run Farm. Only one to hatch out of 7 :hmm
I have its relatives lmfao one blue hen,one thats scissor beaked one that had a head tilt and two roos I hatched 5/5
8C4D8612-1F1D-4148-88AA-42562AD10F25.jpeg
4FB91CAD-C31E-4FA3-B6A0-72932CA63326.jpeg
83256279-459C-43E4-B37B-A07DE57340AE.jpeg

This is a roo my friend got from deer run as a chick they bought 10 all were males but 2, Ill be eating him next spring its aggressive
82C95DE8-79E3-4DD1-B658-1720B6937929.jpeg

I've only used a brooder lamp in the past. Is the Mama pad a lot better?

Most definitely! 24 hour light and constant heat is NOT natural. MHP chicks are quiet ALL night long. They aren't too hot and they aren't kept awake by light.

Mama heating pad brooder thread

And another thing - that business about the chicks requiring 95° ambient the first week dropping by 5° weekly until they are 4 weeks old is BS!! As long as they have access to heat (the MHP or a distant heat lamp if one won't/can't do MHP) pretty much any ambient is fine. Certainly any temp one would have in their house is fine. If you think about it, when was the last time you saw a hen heating up the environment for her chicks so they could come out from under her? ;) Other than my initial 12 (before I knew about MHP) all my girls were raised the first night or 2 in the house with MHP then out in the drafty old barn either with MHP or a broody hen. They never saw a daytime temp higher than 75° before they were a month old.

Back
Top Bottom