Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Quote:
Absolutely the best advice, do your homework as stated above. But also ask about the parents. Make sure recognized Ameraucana colours are being used. An Ameraucana breeder should immediately tell you what colour Ameraucana they are selling. If they just say "Ameraucanas", be suspicious.

If the chicks look like chipmunks, they are more than likely Easter Eggers. Green legs, Easter Eggers.

Absolutely the best advice, do your homework as stated above. But also ask about the parents. Make sure recognized Ameraucana colours are being used. An Ameraucana breeder should immediately tell you what colour Ameraucana they are selling. If they just say "Ameraucanas", be suspicious.

If the chicks look like chipmunks, they are more than likely Easter Eggers. Green legs, Easter Eggers.

Except if you ordered Silvers

Last edited:
Help! From all you Ameraucana breeders and Ameraucana experts!

Does the color of the chick's down or fuzz predict their later feather color at all? Specifically, in a blue Ameraucana, there are lighter and darker down coats in some chicks. Will the chicks with darker down be a darker blue generally once mature?

Thanks!

Hello Everyone!
As you can see, I am brand new to having my own flock. In fact, I just got my own girls for Mother's Day. I have been browsing this forum as I just got a few young chicks from a Chicken Trade Show in Virginia. I was wondering if any of you Ameraucana Experts out there can tell me if these little gals are true Ameraucanas. My mother-in-law chose them, and the vendor SAID they were true Ameraucana's (not just "Easter Eggers)"but can anyone tell me for sure? I appreciate your input, and I have learned so much from this forum!

Hello Everyone!
As you can see, I am brand new to having my own flock. In fact, I just got my own girls for Mother's Day. I have been browsing this forum as I just got a few young chicks from a Chicken Trade Show in Virginia. I was wondering if any of you Ameraucana Experts out there can tell me if these little gals are true Ameraucanas. My mother-in-law chose them, and the vendor SAID they were true Ameraucana's (not just "Easter Eggers)"but can anyone tell me for sure? I appreciate your input, and I have learned so much from this forum!

Hello and
welcome-byc.gif
, from Arkansas.
Not really sure if they are true Ameraucana or not. I have EE's.

Hello Everyone!

They are Easter Eggers. Green legs, non-standard colour.

Winter Witch,

That vendor spoke with fork tongue. You are in Pa and if you go to the Ameraucana Breeders list you will see there are several people near you that will have some TRUE Ameraucanas. Sorry, I am not selling anything but the other people do sell, try the young lad in Mohnton he sells day old chicks or did last year.

I am new to the lavs, but my first lav chick (hatched grey not black) turned almost PURE WHITE. It also had lots of yellow down at hatch. Not sure what happened with her... she is in with my lav roo now and when she starts laying I can't wait to see what they throw. If they are all white, she will go to the EE pen.
Recessive white. Both parents carried it hidden. You said it turned ALMOST pure white. What color was the other "almost" part. White ameraucana are a recognized variety and can be shown, fyi.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom