American serama thread!

help! My roo from jerry cant stand on one of his legs. i went to take him out and hes just hobbling along. no signs of injury he just keeps curling one foot and wont walk. what do i do and whats wrong? (Hes 5 months old)

Have you examined it to rule out trauma or a tumor? He's a bit old to develop Marek's symptoms, but it's not unheard of. If he's in with others his own age, look out for lameness in them, too. Not much you can do about it at this point, if that's what it is.

Mobility problems limited to the legs can be the result of a riboflavin deficiency. At the curled toes stage its been going on awhile, feel their chest, they are likely to be in poor flesh. I just dealt with that myself in a serama pullet. She recovered in just under a week with isolation, high quality feed, clean water and poly-vi-sol w/o iron by syringe daily. She had appetite though! Make sure you get whatever he will eat in to him.

Mobility problems limited to the legs can be the result of a riboflavin deficiency. At the curled toes stage its been going on awhile, feel their chest, they are likely to be in poor flesh. I just dealt with that myself in a serama pullet. She recovered in just under a week with isolation, high quality feed, clean water and poly-vi-sol w/o iron by syringe daily. She had appetite though! Make sure you get whatever he will eat in to him.
I second what Skink said ...I had it happen as well. Get some poly-vi-sol w/o iron from walmart. That stuff really works.. I also mixed feed with boiled eggs yolks moistened and it gets gobbled up good.

Poly-vi-sol is just nutrients and minerals, not medicine, so it can only really fix deficiencies. If your bird is having trouble standing and has lost weight but isn't showing any other problems, it might fix it.

Otherwise, it can help if their food intake is low but that would be about it. Vitamins and electrolytes can give a boost to help them push through but aren't

*but aren't going to treat the problem directly. I would check with an avian vet to ID the cause and recommend effective treatment. Anything else is throwing darts with a blindfold and hoping something stick.

Sorry for the double post, on mobile and it won't let me edit the original effectively!

Whatever it was, she's seemed to have gotten over it overnight. She's always been the kind of sickly one.

As for avian vets, there are none on long island that I know of. I would have to take my bird to Connecticut.

These tinies are 5 weeks old. My guess is the brown one could be a roo, the black one a hen?

Giving up on eggs so Hoping to find free hen. dont have the money to excessively spend. prefered laying but its ok if shes not. dont care about color or pose can be pet quality.

Maybe someone will be amazing on here and send me one? Pretty please?

Back
Top Bottom