American serama thread!

As a very new chicken keeper I'm learning something new every day. I have two Serama chickens, a hen and juvenile cockerel. I thought Serama was the breed but I'm understanding it's the size? What would my two be categorized as?
[/IMG]

Last edited:
As a very new chicken keeper I'm learning something new every day. I have two Serama chickens, a hen and juvenile cockerel. I thought Serama was the breed but I'm understanding it's the size? What would my two be categorized as?
[/URL]

Serama is a breed, but they categorize the sizes, there are class a, b, c, and micro, Micro Doesn't usually lay, or is not fertile. As for the size, its impossibly to do more than a guess for what size without weighing them!

@MadamPoofyBrow All of the birds where having patience issues with me trying to pose them, But they are all usually better about it, If you are interested in them I can Pm you pictures From the show of them Posing Even Nicer Pen #1 Cockerel ( He is very young, so he will Mature more His legs are much longer and his wings more vertical, Like I said, Patience problems lol Pullet This is my favorite Pullet, Her and the cockerel are from Jerrys seramas Her back is almost non existent, and wings almost completely vertical! And the Frizzle Pullet Her tail is more vertical but she saw a bug and wanted to eat it Pen #2 He had just finished crowing here, hence the Funny stance He went to the show In november and got a 74 on his card! Pullet #1 She is my worst one, and she is Really pretty nice! 68 on her card Pullet #2 She is a silkied! I haven't shown her yet If anyone is interested let me know!
CUTIE-PATOOTIES!

[/IMG]

1. Seramas are the world's smallest chicken. Ranging in weight between 9 and 19 ounces, imagine a full grown rooster the size of a pigeon -- that's a Serama!
2. Seramas have a tame and gentle disposition, ranking with the calmest of any of the breeds known, standard or bantam. Both hens and roosters are open to handling. Even children can readily pet and hold the great majority of Seramas. This is considered by many owners as a more important feature than the small size.

3. Most importantly, with their erect carriage and engaging "toy soldier" strut, along with a striking range of color, the Serama cannot be confused with any other chicken, large or small. It is no wonder that those of us who have seen one, want one.

For those with very little space, or with close neighbors, Seramas may be the only option for people who would like chickens as pets but have not been able to consider them before. In Malaysia, where the Serama originates, it is the number one household pet. More Seramas than cats and dogs combined. Showing Seramas there is a major pastime, with local and national competitions numbering in the hundreds annually, if not thousands.

Existing as a landrace in Malaysia, with origins sketchy and not fully known to this day, a number (135) were imported to the US in 2001, by Jerry Schexnayder of Louisiana and were introduced to the American Public via the Ohio National, Columbus, a show in Lincoln, Nebraska and another venue in Tucson, Arizona, that same year. In 2003 the first ever Serama Show in the US, was held in conjunction with the Ohio National. The following spring a Serama Only Show, the Cajun Classic was held in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

One of the first importers, Jerry Schexnayder, along with Brian Reeder, KY founded a national organization called Serama Council of North America (SCNA) and went on to develop a breed that the organization refers to as the American Serama, to conform to a type standard developed from several type of serama as shown in Malaysia. SCNA is currently working for acceptance as a true breed in the APA and has already been accepted by the ABA, with many breeders concentrating on a pure white bird. This is so there is a single focal point for entry, with a bird that comes in literally thousands of color variations and feather patterns.

The SCNA has gone on to sponsor and support sister organizations in the Netherlands (The Netherlands Serama Club, NSC), and in the UK (UK Serama Club, UKSC).

The SCNA sponsors a forum which serves over 200 members. While the complete member areas are open to registered dues paid members only, other areas are open to the general public.

The SCNA forums is a must for anyone seeking information on the Serama. The group is varied in background and you will find wide and stimulating conversations. The SCNA also sponsors a website, www.scnaonline.org, which is open to everyone.

SCNA offers three membership levels: Family-$20, Individual-$15, Youth (17 and under)-FREE. It's simple to join on line at: www.scnaonline.org. or mail in your application for membership to SCNA, P.O. Box 159, Vacherie, La. 70090.
Membership is welcomed and encouraged.

I would love to come and or get Seramas from you guys but am so far I'm gonna have to stick with eggs
1f602.png

Froggies, do you ship hatching eggs?

In all honestly, don't waste time with buying eggs. Serama eggs are difficult to hatch and don't ship well. Instead, save and invest in a good pair. Most breeders ship and shipping is only an additional $65-70 to pretty much anywhere. It's a far better investment, you know what you are getting, to buy good birds from a reputable breeder.

Okay, here's the pics of the younger eight! They are from a different breeder than the others, and I'm seeing better poses from the little pullets than I'm seeing with the 7 month old cockerel off of curly tail.
Okay, sorry for this really, really, really bad pic. This is the oldest cockerel. He wouldn't come out of his pen, and when I got him out, he ran right back in . He wouldn't hold still, and he wouldn't pose. This guy stands real pretty when he's showing off for the girls
wink.png

Here's the mottled girl I was talking about! She stands so straight, even when she's just walking around
love.gif

This is my second mottled hen, a little ball of energy that will NOT hold still.

Little black hen, who stands pretty straight when she's actually posing.

Creole hen. She's a pretty good poser, but is distracted in this pic.

Wheaton hen. She's probably the second best poser, and the breeder told me she possibly carries the silkied gene
celebrate.gif

And the oldest hen. Not sure how old, but starting to redden at the wattles. She doesn't stand as straight as the older ones, but does pretty good when she's showing off.

And the youngest cockerel. This guy is a nut. It took me half an hour to catch him after I got him out for pics, and I have at least thirty pics of a little orange blur. When he's not running laps around the barn, this little guy stands straighter than the older cockerel.

They all have orange feet, but they're a bit young to tell how their tails are going to be. I'm hoping for improved stance and shorter backs with age
woot.gif

Also...those pitiful shredded looking tails...is that normal for young ones? Will they look better after a molt? They've all got it, except the older two..

In all honestly, don't waste time with buying eggs. Serama eggs are difficult to hatch and don't ship well. Instead, save and invest in a good pair. Most breeders ship and shipping is only an additional $65-70 to pretty much anywhere. It's a far better investment, you know what you are getting, to buy good birds from a reputable breeder.
Honestly, I don't think I can afford that
lau.gif
I'm low on funds, and eggs seems the best affordable option ATM. But, I will save and think of this in the future.

Okay, here's the pics of the younger eight! They are from a different breeder than the others, and I'm seeing better poses from the little pullets than I'm seeing with the 7 month old cockerel off of curly tail.
Okay, sorry for this really, really, really bad pic. This is the oldest cockerel. He wouldn't come out of his pen, and when I got him out, he ran right back in . He wouldn't hold still, and he wouldn't pose. This guy stands real pretty when he's showing off for the girls
wink.png

Here's the mottled girl I was talking about! She stands so straight, even when she's just walking around
love.gif

This is my second mottled hen, a little ball of energy that will NOT hold still.

Little black hen, who stands pretty straight when she's actually posing.

Creole hen. She's a pretty good poser, but is distracted in this pic.

Wheaton hen. She's probably the second best poser, and the breeder told me she possibly carries the silkied gene
celebrate.gif

And the oldest hen. Not sure how old, but starting to redden at the wattles. She doesn't stand as straight as the older ones, but does pretty good when she's showing off.

And the youngest cockerel. This guy is a nut. It took me half an hour to catch him after I got him out for pics, and I have at least thirty pics of a little orange blur. When he's not running laps around the barn, this little guy stands straighter than the older cockerel.

They all have orange feet, but they're a bit young to tell how their tails are going to be. I'm hoping for improved stance and shorter backs with age
woot.gif

Also...those pitiful shredded looking tails...is that normal for young ones? Will they look better after a molt? They've all got it, except the older two..
So cute!!
love.gif
cant wait to see how they grow up

I am finally getting the brown coloration bred out of my roos.
Here's George with his Son Worf.
Worf is the smallest roo I ever raised.
He is almost 3 & 1/2 months old.

Back
Top Bottom