American serama thread!

I have one of the 2/22 eggs piped and zipped. Got a cute little guy from it.
Are they supposed to try standing on their tip toes and fall over backwards right away? He's reached the point he's wedging himself against the hatcher wall and the water bowl to stand as high up as he can and stretch his little legs. His current hatcher buddy sultan is happy to creep around still and he's hours older.

Looks like I may end up with 5 if all of the piped eggs hatch
fl.gif

Wanted to share a couple pics of our seramas. They will be 3 weeks old on Tuesday. Doing really well so far, they all seem very healthy and happy.

Adorable! I love the colors! I have a pair that I've incubated eggs from for the first time and both are chocolate colored. I'm hoping to get more colors off the next batch.

I have one of the 2/22 eggs piped and zipped.  Got a cute little guy from it.
Are they supposed to try standing on their tip toes and fall over backwards right away?  He's reached the point he's wedging himself against the hatcher wall and the water bowl to stand as high up as he can and stretch his little legs.  His current hatcher buddy sultan is happy to creep around still and he's hours older.

Looks like I may end up with 5 if all of the piped eggs hatch :fl

I hatched two serama along with five bantams and both the serama did the exact thing you are describing. They are three weeks and perfectly healthy despite their earlier antics.

I have 7 serama babies :) I think they are done. 3 eggs are left which made it to lockdown and then quit. The tiniest egg made it to the day before lockdown.

So I was shipped 12 eggs. They sat in the post office for 3 days over a weekend. 1 was broken taking me down to 11. 1 failed to develop so that was 10. Now 3 at the end quit on me. So I'd say that was a very successful hatch considering it was more than 50%, shipped AND serama.

I was hands on. I was too worried about loosing them to keep away. I would have lost one for sure, he could not break thru the membrane so I poked a hole in his shell and broke into his membrane over his beak. It was very thick. I left him for several hours and dampened the sac to check for vessels. Eventually I finished helping him out. Several were heavily slimed even though my humidity was between 50-60% I'm glad I did not try to get humidity higher.

They all seem to be strong babies, so I'm glad I did a intervention when I did.

I have 2 eggs to go with my 2nd shipment. Out of 8 only 2 have made it to the end. Hoping at least 1 will hatch. They were not wrapped as well during shipment.

Last edited:
I have 7 serama babies :)  I think they are done.  3 eggs are left which made it to lockdown and then quit.  The tiniest egg made it to the day before lockdown.

So I was shipped 12 eggs.  They sat in the post office for 3 days over a weekend.  1 was broken taking me down to 11.  1 failed to develop so that was 10.  Now 3 at the end quit on me.  So I'd say that was a very successful hatch considering it was more than 50%, shipped AND serama.

I was hands on.  I was too worried about loosing them to keep away.  I would have lost one for sure, he could not break thru the membrane so I poked a hole in his shell and broke into his membrane over his beak.  It was very thick.  I left him for several hours and dampened the sac to check for vessels.  Eventually I finished helping him out. Several were heavily slimed even though my humidity was between 50-60%  I'm glad I did not try to get humidity higher.

They all seem to be strong babies, so I'm glad I did a intervention when I did.

I have 2 eggs to go with my 2nd shipment.  Out of 8 only 2 have made it to the end.  Hoping at least 1 will hatch.  They were not wrapped as well during shipment.

Post pics when you can! Sounds like a pretty great hatch all things considered.

I either miscounted or missed one in the brooder. I was having sultans hatch at the same time as the serama so I probably miscounted. I have 6, but still a great hatch rate from shipped eggs. They did not cooperate much with the picture taking and I didn't want them getting chilled, so it's a quicky.

right side black and white I think may be my new rooster :) he's feisty and stubborn

LOVE the colors of the background chipmunk. The foreground little one is one of the smallest.

The heavy white with black spots is also very small even though it doesn't look like it in the picture. The yellow has a few spots on it's back which do not show well in pictures.
I'm still all kinds of happy.

Serama and cold temps.

So we hatched one serama back in January and it brooded with 4 silkie chicks.

We moved them outside 3 or 4 weeks ago when the temps jumped into the 50s for a couple weeks (3 hrs southwest of Chicago).

Anyways. It's cold again. Frozen temps. And so far the serama is taking it like a champ. 2 months old and outside running around everyday with the silkie chicks and adults.

I do kee their coop heated with a heat lamp 24/7 if below 40 however he's not interested in hanging out inside and spends all day outside running around.

This chick came from eggs in the Indianapolis area.

Now I have a second serama chick, it's eggs came from California. So I'm a little more concerned how it will do when the move outside happens (probably won't be till late April).

I also have some more eggs coming from cali this week. So interested to hear ideas on cold hardiness of chickens from a warmer area possibly having more issues adapting to the cold.
bump to see if anyone has anything to say on this.

Back
Top Bottom